none
.NET still a beta product? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm getting confused here.

According to the whitepapers for certified for vista, every exe and dll must be digitally signed with a certificate. fair enough.

But it get's crazy when the CLR always whant to validate the certificate and thereby needs a connection to the internet. A lot of servers do not have access to the internet and therefore will the startup be very long like 90 sec for a webservice or NT service if it's written in .NET. If its written in real code like C++ it just works.

Now there's a hotfix for this or it's solved in .NET 2.0 sp1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936707

But what is it worth as you just need to create an app.exe.config file to prevent CLR doing validation???

And it's getting even worse when we are talking webservices. Here you can't do the fiddling in the web.config. Nope you have to create a w3wp.exe.config and insert it here. This will affect the entire IIS and not just one webservice.

It's not the only troubles with .NET, it's easy to do development, but deploy and maintain is a pain in the rear part of the body.

So can someone from MS please tell me what is the purpose of this certificate issue when we want to be certified for vista/server 2008? what is the right way to do it, except for rewrite it in C++

Regards

Kim

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:13 AM

Answers

• There is no way you'll ever get a response to your post that will make you happy.  I'll try anyway: write it in C++.  Try not to make the same mistakes that got us into this mess in the first place.  And let somebody else make the sales-pitch to your customers.  To quote from the Fawlty Towers episode: "don't mention the war!"
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:57 AM