how can i connect to paradox database file(.db) using ado.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am developing a windws application. the back end is sql server 2000 and (another application storing clients info in paradox format)paradox(.db).it also using bde ver 5.1.

1)What is the best way to connect to .db files(odbc/oledb/....)?how?

2)is it better to convert all .db file to sql and then connect?(30 users are using the application that storing the info in .db format)

3)will i be able to update paradox files using ado.net?

4)can i connect paradox via sql server 2000 then use that table in my application?(the way we connect sql server 2000 via ms access)

thanks

Friday, July 28, 2006 11:00 PM

Answers

• www.connectionstrings.com

ODBC 
     5.X:

• Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )};DriverID=538;Fil=Paradox 5.X;DefaultDir=c:\pathToDb\;Dbq=c:\pathToDb\;CollatingSequence=ASCII"

•  7.X:
      "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Mode=Read;Extended Properties='DSN=Paradox;DBQ=C:\myDb;DefaultDir=C:\myDb;DriverId=538;FIL=Paradox 7.X;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=600;';Initial Catalog=C:\myDb"
  •  OleDbConnection (.NET)

Saturday, July 29, 2006 12:30 AM

All replies

• www.connectionstrings.com

ODBC 
     5.X:

• Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )};DriverID=538;Fil=Paradox 5.X;DefaultDir=c:\pathToDb\;Dbq=c:\pathToDb\;CollatingSequence=ASCII"

•  7.X:
      "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Mode=Read;Extended Properties='DSN=Paradox;DBQ=C:\myDb;DefaultDir=C:\myDb;DriverId=538;FIL=Paradox 7.X;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=600;';Initial Catalog=C:\myDb"
  •  OleDbConnection (.NET)

Saturday, July 29, 2006 12:30 AM
  •  vijay1 wrote:

1)What is the best way to connect to .db files(odbc/oledb/....)?how?

Use .Net Provider as noted above

vijay1 wrote:
    2)is it better to convert all .db file to sql and then connect?(30 users are using the application that storing the info in .db format) 
    That's a business decision...personally I would recommend SQL Servers for all of your data needs (2005 preferably)

vijay1 wrote:
    3)will i be able to update paradox files using ado.net? 
    Yes

vijay1 wrote:
    4)can i connect paradox via sql server 2000 then use that table in my application?(the way we connect sql server 2000 via ms access) 
     If business requirements dictate using the paradox files then  I would connect independently otherwise put the data in SQLSvr and  just use SQL Server

Saturday, July 29, 2006 12:38 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I tried using dsn or passing the provider info. I am able to retrieve data to gridview from some of the .db files .however I am unable to connect most of the .db files.  I am getting odbc error or some strange error at filling the dataset.  When I link those .db files via ms access, I am able to get data to datagridview. Also I am unable to link paradox tables via sql server 2000(link server option).

thanks

vijay1  

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:09 AM

• You may want to specify the error message text that is being generated.
    Monday, July 31, 2006 1:55 PM
  • odbc is connection is looking for the .net driver. I could not find the odbc driver on my machine. so tried oledb connection. it worked. however i see only the  column name no data. My label box control shows that there are 27000 record count. I even tried a small data file

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 2:51 PM
  • odbc is connection is looking for the .net driver. I could not find the odbc driver on my machine. so tried oledb connection. it worked. however i see only the  column name no data. My label box control shows that there are 27000 record count. I even tried a small data file

1)what is dbq in odbc?

Dim strconn1 As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\data;Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;"

'Dim conn As New OdbcConnection("DSN=paradox connection;DefaultDir=C:\data;" & "Dbq=C:\data;")

'Dim strconn As String = "Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )};DriverID=538;Fil=Paradox .5X;DefaultDir=C:\data;Dbq=C:\data;CollatingSequence=ASCII"

Dim str As String

str = "select * from email"

Dim oledbconn As New OleDbConnection(strconn1)

oledbconn.Open()

Dim oledbcadp As New OleDbDataAdapter(str, oledbconn)

Dim dt As New DataTable("email")

oledbcadp.Fill(dt)

Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = dt

'Me.DataGridView1.DataMember = dt.Tables(0).TableName

Label1.Text = CStr(Me.DataGridView1.RowCount)

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 2:55 PM
  • First I tried this query "SELECT Count(*) as Total FROM Table" and it return the number, 7810.
    Then I used the code below and it returned the number 7811;

private OleDbDataAdapter ConnectParadox(string pPath, string pQuery)
    {
    string strConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="+pPath+";Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;";
    try
    {
    OleDbConnection oleConnection = new OleDbConnection(strConnection);
    oleConnection.Open();
    OleDbDataAdapter oleAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(pQuery, oleConnection);
    return oleAdapter;
    }
    catch (OleDbException e)
    {
    MessageBox.Show(e.Message);
    return null;
    }
    }

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    OleDbDataAdapter OleAdapt = ConnectParadox(@"c:\Database", "SELECT * FROM Table");
    DataTable oleTable = new DataTable("tablename");
    OleAdapt.Fill(oleTable);
    dataGridView1.DataSource = oleTable;
    this.Text = dataGridView1.RowCount.ToString(); //this returns 7811, but Count thing returns 7810
    }

this code is so similar to yours. And I also able to see the rows and the data.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 9:49 AM
  • thanks for the info. i was able to solve the problem few months ago,here is my code:

Private Sub cmdOldedb_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdOledb.Click

Dim timer As New Stopwatch

timer.Start()

Dim oledbParadoxconn As New OleDbConnection

Try

Dim Sqltext As String = Me.txtSQL.Text

Dim oledbconnstr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=X:\data;Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;"

oledbParadoxconn.ConnectionString = oledbconnstr

oledbParadoxconn.Open()

Dim myDataAdapter As New OleDbDataAdapter(Sqltext, oledbParadoxconn)

Dim dtgetdata As New DataSet

myDataAdapter.Fill(dtgetdata, "table1")

Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = dtgetdata

Me.DataGridView1.DataMember = "table1"

Me.TextBox1.Text = CStr(Me.DataGridView1.RowCount)

Catch excep As Exception

MessageBox.Show(" Error " & excep.ToString & "Message " & excep.Message & "Source " & excep.Source & "Stack " & excep.StackTrace)

Finally

If oledbParadoxconn.State = ConnectionState.Open Then

oledbParadoxconn.Close()

End If

End Try

Dim requestTime As System.TimeSpan = timer.Elapsed

Me.RichTextBox1.Text = requestTime.ToString

timer.Stop()

End Sub

Friday, February 9, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Hi!

I'm allso trying to connect to Paradox database v.5.X

Anyway... i want to synchronize 2 tables (Paradox and Access97). I know how to work with typed dataset, but i'm new to Untyped...

I have no clue where to start, how to do it...
    I need some sample codes or tutorials or something... i'm a quick learner Wink
    Monday, June 9, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

use the above code to select the data from paradox db and display on a datagridview. to insert or update use the following code.

Private Sub cmdUpdate_Insert_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdUpdate_Insert.Click

Try

'this textbox pass the sql statement(insert/update/select)

'example:"select * from sometable"

Dim Sqltext As String = Me.txtSQL.Text

'path for database folder for paradox

Dim oledbconnstr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\cp pro test data\Data;Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;"

oledbParadoxconn.Open()

Dim cmdOledb As OleDbCommand = oledbParadoxconn.CreateCommand()

cmdOledb.CommandType = CommandType.Text

cmdOledb.CommandText = Sqltext

Dim count As Integer = cmdOledb.ExecuteNonQuery()

cmdOledb = Nothing

MessageBox.Show("record updated : " & count.ToString)

Catch OledbExp As OleDbException

'

If OledbExp.ErrorCode = -2147467259 Then

MessageBox.Show(CStr(OledbExp.ErrorCode))

End If

Catch excep As Exception

MessageBox.Show(" Error " & excep.Source & "Message " & excep.Message & "Source " & excep.Source & "Stack " & excep.StackTrace)

Finally

oledbParadoxconn.Close()

End If

End Try

End Sub

-----------------------

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:33 AM
  • I'm not sure if i really need to display data from paradox to DataGridView...

What i'm trying to achive is to run update query so i can synhronize data between two tables (paradox and access). Basicly i don't even need to create win app, i can run it from cmd, so console app would be enough. But let's forget about that Smile

If i'm right, i need to create connection (let's say it name is conn1) to paradox 5.X and a connection (let's say its name is conn2) to access 97.

Then i need to write a query and at the end delete some cells in paradox.

I know how to do that trough Server explorer and Data sources. But i can't connect to paradox trough Server Explorer.

i need some tuttorials, samples, sample code or smth.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

for testing purpose, create a windows application in vb.net. add a command button(cmdoldedb), and a datagridview1

1)First check the paradox connection(assuming that paradox server is running on a server-->drive XSmile

2)copy and paste the code below to check if you connect to paradox db

Also you can goto odbc tool and create a dsn to paradox database or via access

useful links:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=paradox

http://dn.codegear.com/article/31014

http://cm.megasolutions.net/blogs/ado_net/archive/2006/09/13/Making-the-Connection_3A00_-Accessing-Your-Database-using-ADO.NET.aspx

http://www.functionx.com/vcnet/databases/paradox.htm

godd luck

Private Sub cmdOldedb_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdOledb.Click

Try

Dim Sqltext As String = "Select * from sometable"

'X:\data is the path where all the  paradox files resides(.db,..................)

Dim oledbconnstr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=X:\data;Extended Properties=Paradox 5.x;"

oledbParadoxconn.Open()

Dim myDataAdapter As New OleDbDataAdapter(Sqltext, oledbParadoxconn)

Dim dtgetdata As New DataSet

myDataAdapter.Fill(dtgetdata, "table1")

Me.DataGridView1.DataSource = dtgetdata

Me.DataGridView1.DataMember = "table1"

Catch excep As Exception

MessageBox.Show(" Error " & excep.ToString & "Message " & excep.Message & "Source " & excep.Source )

Finally

oledbParadoxconn.Close()

End If

End Try

End Sub

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:08 PM
  • hi!

i tried a new aproach

i linked table from paradox and table from access in access2007

then:

Code Snippet

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim CRMconnection As New ADODB.Connection
             CRMconnection.Open("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\baze\Synchro.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=prodajapass1;")
            CRMconnection.Execute("UPDATE Catania INNER JOIN CRM ON Catania.St_stranke = CRM.[Zunanji ID] SET Catania.www = CRM.URL")
              CRMconnection.Close()
        End Sub

i get error DataType mismatch

St_stranke is AutoNumber Long Intiger and Zunanji ID is Text 20

i know how to do it in access

Code Snippet

UPDATE Catania INNER JOIN CRM ON Catania.St_stranke = val(CRM.[Zunanji ID]) SET Catania.www = CRM.URL

how do i do it in VB?
    Friday, June 13, 2008 1:16 PM
  • you have to cast the datatype

http://www.startvbdotnet.com/language/conversion.aspx

Friday, June 13, 2008 1:42 PM
  • i don't get it

Isn't there any way to convert the datatype in query, like in access?
    Friday, June 13, 2008 2:21 PM