none
Message object (apps for Office) duplicate/equivalent properties from/sender RRS feed

• Question

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161175.aspx

Posted a community addition to the MSDN page for the object but have received no response and so posting here too.

Not a biggie but the Message object (apps for Office) appears to have duplicate properites for from/sender. I've checked with my code and the results appear equivalent.

My questions are:

1. Are "from" and "sender" properties equivalent?
    2. If yes, why? Does one supersede the other? If so, which should we use?
    3. If no, what's the difference?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:53 PM

Answers

• Hi, Dan

Thanks for the question, and sorry we didn't answer on the documentation page - we check this forum more often.

1. No, "From" and "Sender" are not quite equivalent. Often they have the same value though.

3. "Sender" is the actual source of the mail item, whereas "From" is a sender-specified address. Mail clients may automatically populate From with the Sender value, or they may allow the user to change the "From" field. For example, an email might be sent by an Executive Assistant on behalf of a CEO, in which case the fields would be (From:CEO, Sender:Assistant).

Have fun developing your mail app, and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Michael

• Marked as answer by Daz Wilkin 2 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, Dan

Thanks for the question, and sorry we didn't answer on the documentation page - we check this forum more often.

1. No, "From" and "Sender" are not quite equivalent. Often they have the same value though.

3. "Sender" is the actual source of the mail item, whereas "From" is a sender-specified address. Mail clients may automatically populate From with the Sender value, or they may allow the user to change the "From" field. For example, an email might be sent by an Executive Assistant on behalf of a CEO, in which case the fields would be (From:CEO, Sender:Assistant).

Have fun developing your mail app, and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Michael

• Marked as answer by Daz Wilkin 2 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Very helpful, thank you!

I recommend the documentation be revised to explain this important nuance.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:57 PM