none
When/how does numbering restart? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

What I'm struggling with is the impact of startOverride. What I've found is:

1. If 2 w:numbering/w:num nodes point to the same w:numbering/w:num/w:abstractNumId and I then have paragraphs that use both of those w:num in their w:p/w:pPr/w:numPr in the document, then the numbering increases across both. So the numbering appears to be tied to the unique w:numbering/w:abstractNum/w:lvl, not the w:numbering/w:num.
    2. If w:numbering/w:num/w:lvlOverride/w:startOverride is set, that then resets the number for w:numbering/w:num/w:abstractNumId.

The above all is very straightforward. I'm asking because we hit a DOCX file that does not follow the above (I think). And of course I can't find it. Once I do I'll post it.

But in the meantime a fast question - is the above correct. The numbering is tied to w:numbering/w:abstractNum/w:lvl and w:numbering/w:num/w:lvlOverride/w:startOverride when used changes the value for w:numbering/w:abstractNum/w:lvl but it is just resetting the number there.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:06 PM
  • Hello David:

I'm researching this for you and will get back.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hello David:

Yes, that understanding is correct. I verified it by creating a simple word document with numbered list and later overriding the start value to 5 by adding following elements in numbering.xml

<w:num w:numId="1">
          <w:abstractNumId w:val="0"/>
    	<w:lvlOverride w:ilvl="0">
    	  <w:startOverride w:val="5"/>
    	</w:lvlOverride>
        </w:num>

PS: This article also covers information on your query - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee922775.aspx#odc_Office14_ta_WorkingWithNumbering_ProcessingStartOverride

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:10 AM