Unable to edit work item types with the Power Tools template editor after upgrade to Visual Studio 2012

Question

• After upgrading to Visual Studio 2012 and TFS 2012 Power Tools, I am unable to use the Process Editor to edit work item types. When I try, I get the following error:

"Cannot load C:\\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2012\11.0.50727.1\[server name]_DefaultCollection_[project name]_Task.wit': Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.XmlEditor, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I uninstalled and reinstalled both Visual Studio and Power Tools and am still getting the same error.

Thanks for you help.

Dwight

Friday, October 19, 2012 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dwight, 

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your VS 2012? You should installed the VS 2012 Pro, Premium and Ultimate etc, but except Express version. Please refer to Ewald’s reply in this similar issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfspowertools/thread/ab90beb0-a8eb-437a-904d-620e31f4263d.      

Did you download the TFS Power Tools 2012 and install it? 

Try to install the TFS Power Tools 2012 on other clients where VS 2012 installed, then connect to TFS Server and edit work item type.  

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Thank you, John. That was the problem. I was using the Shell version of VS 2012, which comes with Visual Studio Test Professional. Installing VS 2012 Pro fixed the problem.

So, this will require an upgrade of my license. Do you know why this changed with 2012? I was able to use the Process Editor with the Shell version on VS 2010.

Again, thank you for your help.

Dwight

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi Dwight, 

Thanks for your reply. 

For this license issue, please contact http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx directly for the better response, where specialized experts live in.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:49 AM