Is there a Windows Mobile "universal" installer to deploy Applications to the device? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't want to use a Visual Studio Smart Device Project to create an installer.  I am searching a "universal" installer for Windows Mobile which works out of the box and I only have to add the application file and a provisioning doc.

Thank you very much.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• SPB ezSetup requires only 3 line ini file (sic!) and a cab made by cabwizard (its files probably too) from VS.
    As for WinCE Cab Manager, You can try to follow their leads, but do it with caution - delete only entries inside RunOnce, RunOnceEx keys which are connected with WinCe Cab Manager.

WinCE CM is the tool You're looking for, so if You have an access to another PC, try it out there first.
    I think You're gonna like this app :) (I know I do, because I'm lazy and don't like to create ini files for cabwizard).

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:11 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:44 AM

All replies

• Not quite sure what you mean by "universal."

But you may want to check out CabWiz for making cabs.  Visual Studio is by far the easiest tool, but CabWiz is more complete.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:18 PM
  • PC->PDA: SPB ezSetup (free), 
    direct PDA: WinCE Cab Manager (100$ but it's the best tool on the market)
    If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    "If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting."
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:42 PM
  • PC->PDA: SPB ezSetup (free), 
    direct PDA: WinCE Cab Manager (100$ but it's the best tool on the market)

Thank you very much for your reply.

But ezSetup is a command line tool and it is better to use Visual Studio than ez Setup because one has to learn the .ini file syntax first to use it.

The installation of WinCE Cab Manager fails with an error message. Cf. http://support.ocpsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=441
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:34 AM
  • SPB ezSetup requires only 3 line ini file (sic!) and a cab made by cabwizard (its files probably too) from VS.
    As for WinCE Cab Manager, You can try to follow their leads, but do it with caution - delete only entries inside RunOnce, RunOnceEx keys which are connected with WinCe Cab Manager.

WinCE CM is the tool You're looking for, so if You have an access to another PC, try it out there first.
    I think You're gonna like this app :) (I know I do, because I'm lazy and don't like to create ini files for cabwizard).

• Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:11 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Check out Mobile Packager

www.mobilepackager.com

I was able to do some neat installers and upgrade applications
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Check out Mobile Packager

www.mobilepackager.com

I was able to do some neat installers and upgrade applications

Hello,

I have already installed Mobile Packager and it seems to be a good tool.

But I need to execute a .exe file with arguments after copying files and this seems not to be possible with Mobile Packager. As far as I see the tool only copies files to the device.  
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 12:08 PM