none
Why do any graphics questions get moved to winforms forum by moderators? RRS feed

All replies

• It's unfortunate that those the can move a post to another forum don't seem to know if a forum is dead that they are moving someone's post to, and one would think that MSDN forums monitors are better than this.
    Monday, January 13, 2020 12:41 PM
  • The Winforms forum is active and where any question related to Windows Forms goes. In almost all cases a UI-based question belongs in the forum for that UI. They each have their own forums except UWP which has been moved to the beta new forums. DGV and other data controls have a dedicated forum (not sure why) so in most cases related questions would be moved there but if they end up in the Winforms forums then it unlikely to get moved.

The `System.Drawing` namespace is an oddball and is taken case by case. Most of the functionality defined there is to support Windows Forms but could be used in other places. WPF and UWP have their own versions of these types and therefore would rarely use `System.Drawing`.

Anything related to charts is in a similar boat. There used to be a chart forum but it is gone. Charts are clearly related to either Winforms or ASP.NET but they aren't technically part of either as they are shipped separately IIRC. Most of time chart questions go to Winforms since we cannot move posts to ASP.NET.

The "Where are the written rules for what code is allowed in what forum? Or is this just up to the moderators to decide?" are defined as sticky at the top of the C# forums where they have always been. Refer to these guidelines to better understand why forum posts are moved and a link to where they would be moved to.

The C# forums is not a catch all place for any question that remotely uses C# (hence the sticky). It is for C#-specific questions only. If you were using VB instead and your question is still valid then it doesn't belong in the C# forums.

As for moderators moving threads, this is part of the job. Posting a question in a generic forum isn't going to help someone get the focused attention they need. For example we often see posts about SharePoint in the C# forum but few people in the C# forums know SP so the moderators move them to the appropriate forum. I'm sorry you feel this shouldn't happen but that is the way the forums work. In the "new" forums that is supposedly in beta I believe the concept of topic forums is gone (or at least limited) but in this forum where things are broken up by topic we move things as needed.

@DA924x please identify which forum is dead, not marked as archived, and where posts are getting moved and the moderators can get the forum marked as such.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, January 13, 2020 6:03 PM
  • @DA924x please identify which forum is dead, not marked as archived, and where posts are getting moved and the moderators can get the forum marked as such.

Ask the OP, becuase I am only going on the OP's statements.

Monday, January 13, 2020 6:07 PM
  • > This is a public forum not a dictatorship.

No, you are wrong.  This absolutely IS a dictatorship.  It's Microsoft's yard.  They supply the equipment, they vet the moderators, and they make the rules.

It's true that not all moderators are fully up to speed on things, but you're getting what you paid for.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:37 PM
  • For these forums (MSDN) its really a moot point beings there is a sunset date coming up and migration to the new forums.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:38 PM
  • The reason I said "Public" is because, as I recall, Reed Kimble said that MS turned the forum over to the public or members and ever since then had stayed out of it more or less. MS does not disipline or ban members or set rules etc. MS does not improve the forum or code etc. So there must be some public method of making decisions I asked? Apparently not near as I can tell.

The reason I like graphics in the lang forum is the forum is the lang it is written in. You cant put c# graphics code in vb forms and have it run. Plus, that is where the members are, where the action is. Who wants to hang out in the winforms forum? Not everything has to be forced into a catagory such that we get one by default even when not really appropriate. We have search we can search for what we want. If we dont know the category we cant find anything.

Why do new members repeatedly put things in the c# forum and not the winforms forum? I dont see it moving the other way? Its because that is where it intuitively belongs and makes sense. Not because the sysop likes it there.

But yes to Karen's moot point yes... and it has basically been coming long as I can remember... not sure why I bother saying anything. Except the posts are currently being moved to an obscure area on a daily single case decision basis based on what a moderator wants to do at the moment.

I just asked why are the graphics posts being moved? Where is it written thou shalt move graphics to winforms?

Its just a discussion off the top of my head nothing personal. I noticed it being new to watching this C# forum. I can easily just watch the winforms forum.

Thanks for the nice respose Tx.

:)

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:38 PM

• But yes to Karen's moot point yes... and it has basically been coming long as I can remember... not sure why I bother saying anything. Except the posts are currently being moved to an obscure area on a daily single case decision basis based on what a moderator wants to do at the moment.

:)

Look at June if not sooner for these forums sunsetting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/teamblog/msdn-technet-migration?fbclid=IwAR1hJiOgv-jqWSRDd7sVI5TxOEk9gnp_GcSG9U3fjWvQPYOya4HyDqYDXbw

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:14 AM
  • The C# forums is not a catch all place for any question that remotely uses C# (hence the sticky). It is for C#-specific questions only.

While I agree with this in general terms, I have noted that some moderators are excessively "trigger-happy" when moving questions to other forums. I have seen questions where the OP mentioned that the code was for a WinForms application get instantaneously moved away to the WinForms forum, when the problem stated in the question was purely an issue of C# syntax. The fact that it was written within a Winforms application was merely a coincidence; the same mistake in the C# coding would equally result in the same error in any other type of application. And yet the moderator who moved the question completely failed to understand that the problem was in the C# syntax. They moved it away simply because "Windows form" was mentioned somewhere within the text.

The same thing happens when a question mentions that it is for an ASP.NET application, even if once you consider the issue described in the question it happens to be a purely C# issue and the fact that the code was written within an ASP.NET application is purely anecdotal. Yet, only because the text "ASP.NET" occurs within the question, someone immediately jumps-in to say that questions about ASP.NET should be asked in a different forum.

I therefore contend that more discretion should be exercised when moving questions. If the problem arises, for example, due to a lack of understanding of a library that is only relevant to a given environment, then it is appropriate to move the question to the forum for such environment. But if the issue is that the parameters passed to a function in such library have wrong values due to a lack of understanding of how the C# compiler produces the values for such parameters, then the question is appropriate for the C# forum (even if the library to which we are passing the values belongs in a different forum). Of course, it may not be obvious at first sight whether the case is the first or the second, and only after some discussion of the issue some answer may point out the real cause of the problem. The question should not be moved before such a discussion has had the opportunity to take place and it has been definitely concluded that the problem did not lie in the C# coding.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:41 PM