Socialite Function not working - Web Auth broken -2146697211 Error message: unknown runtime error

Question

• I have been unable to get the Socialite Tile/function to work. Every time I launch the app I get the following error:

Web Auth broken -2146697211  Error message: unknown runtime error.

Any suggestions

Gary

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hey Gary,

Let's try downloading the drivers that are being offered directly from the manufacturer's websites. The links below will take you to the appropriate websites:
    AMD - Graphic Drivers and Software

HP Support & Drivers

If the a driver installation doesn't complete successfully, try using the Compatibility troubleshooter to install the driver. You can do this by:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard to enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:21 PM

All replies

• Gary,

Do you have another account set up on the machine that you can test with to see if the function is working there?

If not then please follow the steps below to setup a test account:

1.    From the Start screen click on your user tile

2.    Select “Add User”

3.    Select “More about logon options”

4.    Select “Local account”

5.    Enter in the Test accounts information and then select “Next”

6.    Select “Finish”

The Local account is now setup, you can log out of your account and into the Test account to see if Socialite will work for the new profile.

Please respond back with your results

Chris

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Gary,

Do you have another account set up on the machine that you can test with to see if the function is working there?

If not then please follow the steps below to setup a test account:

1.    From the Start screen click on your user tile

2.    Select “Add User”

3.    Select “More about logon options”

4.    Select “Local account”

5.    Enter in the Test accounts information and then select “Next”

6.    Select “Finish”

The Local account is now setup, you can log out of your account and into the Test account to see if Socialite will work for the new profile.

Please respond back with your results

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Ok I followed your instructions and set up an account, logged in and tried Socialite. Same error as posted above. Also the Weather App is giving me an error that I have a network problem and no data is available. This is an intermittent problem on the original install also. On the original install I was able to access the options on the weather app and change the location from Anaheim, CA to Detroit, since the first time in the option in weather I cannot access it again, as a matter of fact when I try to access the Weather App tile it just takes me to the Store App  arggh. As a matter of fact all the Metro Apps on the original install account take me to the Store App now. Things seemed to turn funky after the five or six windows update that was sent a few days ago, or just my imagination :-)

Thank you and if you want me to try anything else just post here.

Sorry for all the edits, the first time I typed out a large response, the submit button was greyed out and I had to start over again

Gary

• Edited by Gary Stephen Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Gary,

I would suggest that you refresh your system and try accessing the apps again to see if the issue is still there.

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5.  Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

Please post back with the results

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Ok followed your instructions above, everything went great during the refresh. After the first restart I tried all the tiles, Weather (worked

perfectly), Socialite (worked perfectly) News, Tweet-o-rama, news and Build all worked. Applied all the options that I wanted to the tiles

mentioned and did a restart. After the restart, a notification appeared that there was some windows updates available, (9) as well as some

optional updates. One for ATI Raedeon, Synaptics Touch, Some thing from HP that made no sense to me (something about mobile protection). I

selected to install all updates and optional updates as well. After the optional updates installed, I was presented with the same optional

updates again (as if I did not select and install them) Rebooted machine and I keep getting offered the same optional updates, when checking what

was installed, the only optional update that shows that it was installed was the Synaptics update. When you check the history it shows the ATI

was installed even though the updater keeps offering it. Right now all the tiles are working except the weather, when I click the tile all I

receive is a green screen that just sits there. So it appears that one of the updates is causing the issue.

Any thing else I can check?

Thanks

Gary

I have included the windows update history snapshot

• Edited by Gary Stephen Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Hey Gary,

Let's try downloading the drivers that are being offered directly from the manufacturer's websites. The links below will take you to the appropriate websites:
    AMD - Graphic Drivers and Software

HP Support & Drivers

If the a driver installation doesn't complete successfully, try using the Compatibility troubleshooter to install the driver. You can do this by:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard to enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:21 PM