none
Departmental Custom Fields Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,
    I am facing an issue in EPM / Project Server 2010.
    Please find the attached test cases which I have performed on my Dev environment.
    *If Enterprise Custom Field's dept is equal to IT then this field is visible to all projects (under Project Fields web part in Project Detail Pages) whatever the project or resource department is.
    *If Enterprise Custom Field's dept is equal to any other department then this field is not visible in project detail page.
    Need to create some Custom fields for 1 particular dept.

Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:44 AM

Answers

• The way Departments are used in Projects is by associating a department with an EPT.  So, the "IT EPT" can be associated with the IT department.  Any Project level ECF tagged with the IT department field, or tagged with no field, will be available within the PDP.  Note that if you as a resource, are associated with the IT department ECF, then you WILL be able to see the "IT EPT" from the new projects dropdown in PWA.  If you are associated with the "Legal" department, you will not be able to see the "IT EPT"....

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by hachishti Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:07 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Hachisthti,

I'm not sure if you have a question or a statement or functionality requirement.  Assuming the latter, using the department field in the way you suggest here will not work."If Enterprise Custom Field's dept is equal to IT then this field is visible to all projects (under Project Fields web part in Project Detail Pages) whatever the project or resource department is."  For an overview of departments see - http://www.applepark.co.uk/understanding-departments-in-project-server-2010-part-1/ and http://www.applepark.co.uk/understanding-departments-in-project-server-2010-part-2/

Sunday, January 31, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Hi BenHoward, 

Thanks for reply and for your time. I have reviewed you blog already before submit my question here and I have performed this as a test activity it is working on resource level.

Now I want to filter on project level also. is ti possible please find the screenshot below.  

I have set ECF department is IT

In above screen, department of the project is "Organizational Development & Excellence" not an IT but still ECF is visible in PDP.

but once I change the department of ECF to "Organizational Development & Excellence" this ECF hide even above project also.

Your help and support are greatly appreciated, Once again many Thanks Ben

• Edited by hachishti Monday, February 1, 2016 5:46 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 5:46 AM
  • The way Departments are used in Projects is by associating a department with an EPT.  So, the "IT EPT" can be associated with the IT department.  Any Project level ECF tagged with the IT department field, or tagged with no field, will be available within the PDP.  Note that if you as a resource, are associated with the IT department ECF, then you WILL be able to see the "IT EPT" from the new projects dropdown in PWA.  If you are associated with the "Legal" department, you will not be able to see the "IT EPT"....

• Marked as answer by hachishti Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:07 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Thank you so much Ben your help and support is greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:08 AM
  • You're welcome :)

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:09 AM