none
Content Editor web part RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In Sharepoint 2007, the Content Editor web part allowed for entering HTML. In Sharepoint 2010 version of this web part, I don't see this option. Am I just not seeing it?

Paul

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:03 PM

Answers

• Ranjoe -

I hate to say this, but I have to disagree. There's no reason why you can't put HTML or Javascript directly into the Content Editor Web Part using the Edit HTML Source button in Editing tab of the Ribbon, as shown in the second link I provided above. Sure, it's definitely possible to link the CEWP to a separate file and often times easier to maintain and update, but not required.

After doing some more digging on this, I've found several links that I think are highly relevant in addition to the two I've posted above:

• SharePoint MVP Marc Anderson has a quick post with some good conversations he had on the CEWP and how he proved that you can edit source code directly in the CEWP: http://sympmarc.com/2010/10/26/script-in-content-editor-web-parts-cewps-in-sharepoint-2010/
    • Marc also links to a great article by Christophe Humbert (http://blog.pathtosharepoint.com/2010/10/27/about-scripts-web-parts-and-urban-myths) which I think is a very good summary of exactly this question about the CEWP versus the HTML Form web part. In it he points out that the CEWP can do this as well, but also states that the HTML Form web part delivers more functionality (it can handle Form tags, the CEWP can't) but does also come with the drawback of not being able to link to external source files like the CEWP. Personally I really prefer to use the external files for my source in cases like this, so that's why I prefer the CEWP over the HTML Form web part.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Yes I think you're right :). What I was talking about is the controls inside the Edit WebPart properties. just got mislead there. its just that the Html Form web part has that button like the button in the 2007 CEWP. Thanks for the info :)
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:14 PM

All replies