none
Web Frameworks 2015 update fails RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone else having a problem installing Microsoft ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2015 in VS2015?

This showed up in VS2015 as an available update, but when I try to install it, I get an error:

Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:15 PM

Answers

• I understand that the installer thinks there's an invalid character in that directory name, but there isn't, in the filename on disk:

Just to be sure, I typed the correct name into a text editor, copied it to the clipboard, renamed the directory, and pasted in what I had typed - to ensure that I didn't have some Unicode character that looked like an 'N', but wasn't. Then reran the installer and still had it fail with the same error.

I don't know where the invalid path name is coming from, but it's not from the name of the directory on disk.

Given that, I did a search through the registry, and found this:

I'm renamed the registry value, and the install completed without error.

If you browse the web, you'll find that I'm not the only person who's run into this issue. Whether it's worth the effort to track down which of your installers created the invalid registry setting, I'll leave up to you.

• Marked as answer by Chris Stendal Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:51 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:14 PM

All replies

• Dear Chris,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to install this update of my VS enterprise 2015 with update 1, and it install successfully, I can found this file “Microsoft.AspNet.WebPages.WebData.3.0.0” contains in your error message and it is under the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Stack 5\Packages”, please see the following screenshot.

According to the error message, the folder path of the file has an invalid character. Please you can try to copy this file from another computer which can installed successfully, then install this update again.

Since there has the standalone installer of Microsoft ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2015 and I recommend you download it from: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/2f8a7e60-2e6b-4220-b334-26d1e60ec54c and manually install it.

If this issue still persists, I need you help to collect the log. Please run the collect command: devenv /log in the developer command prompt of VS 2015, then upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled VS2015, I've copied the directory from another machine, I've run the standalone installer, and I still have the problem.

Next step would be to run devenv with the /log option, but when I run devenv from the VS2015 developer command-line, nothing happens. No error, but no VS.

VS runs just fine from the start menu, but running devenv from the command line just silently does nothing.

I've checked, nothing is added to ActivityLog.xml when I do.

Oddly enough, if I add "/log" to the start menu shortcut, it starts up normally, and creates an ActivityLog.xml.

ActivityLog.xml

Friday, April 15, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Dear Chris,

Thank you for your update.

I have checked your upload log and I found it is empty, and according to your description, nothing is added to the ActivityLog.xml file, so I need your help to collect the VS installation logs. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

To solve this issue, we need to find which the folder path ‘Microsoft.ASP[]et.WebPages.WebData3.0.0’ refer to. We can try to find it from the VS installation logs or try to use the Process Monitor to trace the detail steps of the update installation as following:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.

1. Download the Process monitor tool and run it

2. Reinstall the update and monitor the record which Process Name is the VS installer like vs_community.exe

3. Catch the error information when the installation shows error message

The process maybe a little complex, it will helpful for us to catch the detail error information.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Dear Chris,

I have researched the log files and found the error message as following from the log file “dd_vs_professional_20160415114234_392_vsupdate_kb3022398_066_aspnetwebfxtoolsvs14.log”:

>>MSI (s) (68:54) [11:59:28:598]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding dir385F70533E56BD59A2B4D224CBFA60E6 property. Its value is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Stack 5\Packages\Microsoft.AspNet.WebPages.WebData.3.0.0\lib\'.

>>MSI (s) (68:54) [11:59:28:598]: Note: 1: 1324 2: Microsoft.Aspet.WebPages.WebData.3.0.0 3: 1

>>MSI (s) (68:54) [11:59:28:602]: Product: Microsoft ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools - Visual Studio 2015 - ENU -- Error 1324. The folder path 'Microsoft.Aspet.WebPages.WebData.3.0.0' contains an invalid character.

I recommend you try to copy the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Stack 5\Packages from other computer that already installed this update successfully, restart the computer then try to install this update again.

If this issue still persists, please collect the logs as you did before. I will invite a higher engineer to help you continue researching it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:31 AM
  • I copied over the Packages directory, from a machine on which the install package had installed without issue, rebooted, reran the install package, and encountered the same error.

I collected the logs, as I had before, and uploaded them as the file vslogs2.zip:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6F3216B2CEC78174!140&authkey=!AA5OISjIqsnd8OI&ithint=file%2czip

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Dear Chris,

Thank you for your update.

I'm so sorry that I cannot help you solve it immediately, I will invite a higher professional engineer to continue researching it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I have checked your VS installation log file, it returns below messages.

It seems that your folder contains an invalid character. If you installed your VS2015 by default, please check your folder name from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Stack 5\Packages and make sure the folder name is "Microsoft.AspNet.WebPages.WebData.3.0.0".

Thanks,

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:04 AM
  • I understand that the installer thinks there's an invalid character in that directory name, but there isn't, in the filename on disk:

Just to be sure, I typed the correct name into a text editor, copied it to the clipboard, renamed the directory, and pasted in what I had typed - to ensure that I didn't have some Unicode character that looked like an 'N', but wasn't. Then reran the installer and still had it fail with the same error.

I don't know where the invalid path name is coming from, but it's not from the name of the directory on disk.

Given that, I did a search through the registry, and found this:

I'm renamed the registry value, and the install completed without error.

If you browse the web, you'll find that I'm not the only person who's run into this issue. Whether it's worth the effort to track down which of your installers created the invalid registry setting, I'll leave up to you.

• Marked as answer by Chris Stendal Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:51 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Dear Chris,

I'm glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing, it will help other community members who have the same issue to search the solution.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Sara

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:51 AM