layer diagram - feedback RRS feed

• Question

• I was playing with the C:\DinnerNow25\solution\VSTS2010\Lucerne_DN_Integration\DNConsoleApp layer diagram in Oct 2008 CTP to see how I can validate existing code with the diagram.
    As per the walkthru instructions I dragged a few namespaces onto the diagram layers and did a Validate. No errors were reported.
    Then I added a random name in Required Namespace of the service layer and did a Validate again..again no errors were reported from the IDE.

Even the 

msbuild /t:ValidateArchitecture from command line does not report errors.

It appears like I can add anything to the layer diagram, but result is always 0 Errors.

Also, do I need to always drag a namespace to the diagram for validation? Is there a way to validate all the namespaces in one go?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hey Aarti,

Thanks for trying out the CTP.

This might be a bug in the code but I'll need more detail to be sure.
    Please log a bug with detail repro steps at connect.microsoft.com
    Suhail Dutta | Program Manager | Visual Studio Team Edition for Software Architects
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hey Aarti,

Thanks for trying out the CTP.

This might be a bug in the code but I'll need more detail to be sure.
    Please log a bug with detail repro steps at connect.microsoft.com
    Suhail Dutta | Program Manager | Visual Studio Team Edition for Software Architects
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Hi Luis,

Validation helps you discover any conflicts between the dependencies in your code and those shown on the layer diagram. You can organize and map the physical assets in your solution to the layers on the diagram. These layers describe the logical organization of your architecture. You can then draw the intended dependencies that should exist between those layers and then validate your code against the diagram.

Does that help? 
    Esther Fan | User Education | Visual Studio Team Architect
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:50 AM