What is the meaning of each of the window explorer file icons RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the internet but can not fid a list of the File Explorer icons and the meaning of them anywhere. My specific problem is I have two BV.Net executables in the same directory. To look at there attributes they are exactly the same but one runs when executed remotely and one does not.  I noticed the icon is the only difference I see.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi

Which two BV.NET files are you referring to? And, what is BV.NET?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:05 PM
  • dyslexic vb.net and the two files are FBBInventroyUpd.exe and FULFDBCntsUpdt.exe they are both VB.net console apps that update the same Access db one runs the other not. I did some checking and it appears the actual error is Jet 4 not registered. But I am still looking for a list of Icons and their meaning if you can answer that.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Hi

Suggest you avail yourself of the wonders of Google (or your preferred search engine) instead of asking someone else todo it for you.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Icon # 4 is the default icon when you have not set an icon while the others appear to me someone has set icons for those executables. The config file icon is the default icon for config files (and normally it's a web icon even thou you have a desktop app)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:42 PM
  • Actually I would be willing to bet icon # 4 is for a 64 bit VB.net application and the others are for 32 bit. The reason I came to this conclusion is we are executing these on a 32 bit windows 2000 server but developing them on a 64 bit windows 10 machine. The Jet 4 error is because there is not 64 bit Jet 4 driver. I recompiled the project in VS2008 and now have a exe with the plain icon. Leshay if you can't help you should keep your options to yourself. I did search google and did not find a list of the Windows File Explorer icons. If you can do better prove it. Don't be so judgmental till you have tried it yourself. Thank you Karen
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

This is a list of icons for the window explorer file icons. These Icons in: C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll.

If you want to know the shell.dll usage of the icon function, you can check the document as follows.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/legacy/bb776426(v=vs.85)

But the icon of the .exe file is very sure that it can be replaced by any feasible icon.

I'm sorry that I did not find their special meaning. Maybe you can try it again.

Best Regards,

Julie

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:40 AM