Can't debug on IoT Core 1809 RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded to RS5 / 1809 on our devices based on IoT Core. On one of our development machines we now have the issue, that we can't deploy UWP applications to devices running IoT Core 10.0.17763.107 (older versions work fine).

The message that we get on that machine ist: 'DEP6957: Failed to connect to device 'correct_ip' using Universal Authentication'

The IP address is correct and Universal Authentication is selected. We can open the device portal and also connect through powershell. I'm on the latest visual studio version.

I tried to reinstall the Universal Windows Development extension of Visual Studio, but this didn't help.

Has anyone made similar observations and maybe even found a solution for this issue?

Monday, December 17, 2018 12:12 PM

Answers

• Yes, it has only been observed on this one laptop. Strangely, on the last day of work last year it worked for some hours and I could deploy just fine to our RS5 devices. But after closing and reopening VS, it stopped working again, with the same error message appearing.

I'm working on the latest Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise v15.9.4

But since this issue only seems to be on my machine, I'll close this thread as resolved and try reinstalling VS2017 on my machine etc.

• Marked as answer by marcow_ Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:13 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hello @marcow, @TheJeffro and @Mickey H,

I test on Raspberry Pi 3 with version 10.0.17763.194 and 10.0.17763.107, both device portal and UWP application debugging work on these two versions.

And I also test Dragonboard with version 10.0.17763.107, device portal and UWP app debugging work for me.

So what I think about two points:

1. Which board do you use? Raspberry Pi 3 or dragonboard or others?
    2. It seems you all upgrade from old version to 17763 but I directly flash the 17763.

So can you try to flash a new 17763.107 or 17763.194 to see if it can reproduce this issue?

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:51 AM
  • Some more detail:

- The SOM we are using is a Myon I (Snapdragon 410E) from Keith & Koep on a custom hardware

- We build and flash the ffu ourselves (so all devices are flashed completely and not updated during runtime)

- As I mentioned, so far it is only one laptop with this issue, so I don't think it's a direct issue with IoT Core

- The issue seems to be with some incompatibility on my development machine with the latest IoT Core Release

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hello marcow_,

>>>As I mentioned, so far it is only one laptop with this issue, so I don't think it's a direct issue with IoT Core

Thanks for detailed information. So have you tried other development machine to see if it can debug 1809 IoT Core device successfully?

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:26 AM
  • I just tried it on a laptop with a freshly installed windows 10, where i just installed the VS2017 and the required SDKs and it works fine there.

So it seems to just be an issue with my laptop. Nevertheless, I would want to be able to resolve this issue without having to reinstall anything.

So if anybody else has the same problem and maybe found a solution for it, I would be very glad to here it :)

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:47 AM
  • We have seen issues on both the Raspberry Pi and the Up Board.  It does not happen on all boards, just about 10% of them.  These boards were built using the IoT Dashboard tool a few months ago and were working fine until the Windows Update came down automatically last week.  We have not seen any issues with boards that have been built from IoT Dashboard with the new build.  Our only issue so far is with boards that pulled down the update.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:31 PM
  • Ours is related to Windows Update as it affects all machines with the update.

We're using a Jetway Computer NP591 (Intel x64 Celeron)

We'll be directly flashing today to the latest version. I'm assuming the device portal will work after a direct flash, and maybe it was something during the update that bricked our systems.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:04 PM
  • Hello @Mickey H and @TheJeffro,

Thanks for detailed information. The issue of you two seem upgrade related and it is different with issue of @marcow_ so I have split your issue to a new thread and we will be continue there.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 1:25 AM
  • Hello marcow_,

>>>I just tried it on a laptop with a freshly installed windows 10, where i just installed the VS2017 and the required SDKs and it works fine there.

So this issue is the specified machine related. If you update your Visual Studio on the first laptop you can try to repair it to see if it works.

BTW, which version of Visual Studio do you use?

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:50 AM
  • Yes, it has only been observed on this one laptop. Strangely, on the last day of work last year it worked for some hours and I could deploy just fine to our RS5 devices. But after closing and reopening VS, it stopped working again, with the same error message appearing.

I'm working on the latest Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise v15.9.4

But since this issue only seems to be on my machine, I'll close this thread as resolved and try reinstalling VS2017 on my machine etc.

• Marked as answer by marcow_ Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:13 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:13 AM