Using a Metro style live tile to launch the Calendar in Outlook 2013

Question

• Hello there,

I am somewhat new to developing in .NET/ASP.NET and C#. We are running MS Exchange Server 2013, Outlook 2013 and VS 2013. I am curious if I can code a Metro style live tile to launch the calendar from Outlook 2013 within an internal company's intranet?

If there is anyone who could point me in the direction to find some example code or know where there would be some code out there to make this possible?

Thanks!

Shawn

Shawn Hofmann

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:16 PM

Answers

• What do you mean by "a Metro style live tile"?

Live tiles are used only by Windows Store apps. You could theoretically write a Windows Store app which when opened would launch Outlook's calendar. You'll have to check with Outlook folk to se how to launch that. If Outlook supplies a URI that can be launched then it's easy. Launch it with Launcher.LaunchUriAsync. Likewise if Outlook can provide a shortcut file to the calendar.

Otherwise this isn't generally supported but could be done within your enterprise side-loaded environment.You'll need to interop to Outlook API and can use a Brokered Windows Runtime Component to call Outlook's desktop API.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:30 PM
    Owner
  • It should be possible, but if you want to display a custom tile on your page you'll need to ask on a web app development forum such as at http://asp.net . That isn't a technology I'm very familiar with.

The Windows Store apps forums are specifically about writing client-side Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:43 PM
    Owner

All replies

• What do you mean by "a Metro style live tile"?

Live tiles are used only by Windows Store apps. You could theoretically write a Windows Store app which when opened would launch Outlook's calendar. You'll have to check with Outlook folk to se how to launch that. If Outlook supplies a URI that can be launched then it's easy. Launch it with Launcher.LaunchUriAsync. Likewise if Outlook can provide a shortcut file to the calendar.

Otherwise this isn't generally supported but could be done within your enterprise side-loaded environment.You'll need to interop to Outlook API and can use a Brokered Windows Runtime Component to call Outlook's desktop API.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:30 PM
    Owner
  • This is what I would like to do, only if it is possible. Launch our company's intranet site, on the home page or our own personal page that we have created to have a live tile that is on the page displayed. But having a live tile on the page that will display appointments, notifications, etc. on the tile itself. Then once you click on the tile, it will launch the calendar from there so you can add more appointments, meetings, etc.

Shawn Hofmann

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:09 PM
  • It should be possible, but if you want to display a custom tile on your page you'll need to ask on a web app development forum such as at http://asp.net . That isn't a technology I'm very familiar with.

The Windows Store apps forums are specifically about writing client-side Windows Store apps.

--Rob

Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:43 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Rob for your help.

Shawn Hofmann

Friday, May 23, 2014 2:30 PM