Using GameControler Service for Hydra RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to control a lego robot using Razer Hydra. I am using Game Controller Service, however it doesn't recognise any axes changes issued from Hydra. Hydra is working fine and in Game pad controller mode. I can control the robot using the Desktop joystick. I am trying to do the task as in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc998515.aspx

Can anyone please explain why hydra is not recognised by Game Controller Service? Is there any alternate way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:49 AM

Answers

• The GameController service is essentially a wrapper for DirectInput (part of DirectX). I'm not sure whether the Razer Hydra is a supported DirectInput device. Just a quick search seems to say perhaps not. I did find a Razor Hydra DirectInput Wrapper GitHub project...

Like you mention, there is of course the DesktopJoystick service that should work to get through the VPL Lab. Also, there's an XInputController service for Xbox controllers if you have one.

If all else fails, you could create a service for the Razer Hydra, sharing the same interface using the samples\UX\... as a starter.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:39 AM

All replies

• The GameController service is essentially a wrapper for DirectInput (part of DirectX). I'm not sure whether the Razer Hydra is a supported DirectInput device. Just a quick search seems to say perhaps not. I did find a Razor Hydra DirectInput Wrapper GitHub project...

Like you mention, there is of course the DesktopJoystick service that should work to get through the VPL Lab. Also, there's an XInputController service for Xbox controllers if you have one.

If all else fails, you could create a service for the Razer Hydra, sharing the same interface using the samples\UX\... as a starter.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Ashley for the reply. I got it to work with some other joystick. It seems hydra doesn't support DirectInput API as you said. Should try creating a service.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:57 AM