none
Azure DependencyAgentLinux or/and OMS agents RRS feed

• Question

• How many monitoring agents I want monitor the metrics and logs to be monitor? I notice oms agent and dependency agent for linux. Do I need both or one agent can take care both. Can you help which one I need to install.

raindrop18

• Edited by raindrop18 Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:25 AM

Answers

• OMS now called Azure Monitor has a dependency on Dependency Agent from the docs:

"The Dependency agent was developed as part of the Service Map solution, which was not originally developed by Microsoft. Service Map and Azure Monitor for VMs requires a Dependency Agent on Windows and Linux virtual machines and it integrates with the Log Analytics agent to collect discovered data about processes running on the virtual machine and external process dependencies. It stores this data in a Log Analytics workspace and visualizes the discovered interconnected components."

For more info please read these if you haven't yet:

Advanced Monitoring

Dependency Agent

Azure Monitor (OMS)

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:23 PM

All replies

• Is there a tutorial or guide that you are following? 
    Friday, August 16, 2019 7:34 PM
  • Yes, this one of the doc and graphical show confused me. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=azure+oms+and+dependency+agent&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=nvi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjs0cO-iYvkAhXRpJ4KHX4tDsIQ_AUoA3oECA8QAw&biw=412&bih=718&dpr=2.63#imgrc=YjFq1qu7YwHBXM

raindrop18

Saturday, August 17, 2019 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

you have three types of agents available to monitor VMs

• Azure Diagnostic 
    • Log Analytics agent for Linux and Windows
    • Dependency agent 

dependency agent is required by Service map to collect discovered data about processes running on the VM

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/agents-overview

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. My blog: http://cloudskillz.wordpress.com/

Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:20 AM
  • OMS now called Azure Monitor has a dependency on Dependency Agent from the docs:

"The Dependency agent was developed as part of the Service Map solution, which was not originally developed by Microsoft. Service Map and Azure Monitor for VMs requires a Dependency Agent on Windows and Linux virtual machines and it integrates with the Log Analytics agent to collect discovered data about processes running on the virtual machine and external process dependencies. It stores this data in a Log Analytics workspace and visualizes the discovered interconnected components."

For more info please read these if you haven't yet:

Advanced Monitoring

Dependency Agent

Azure Monitor (OMS)

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi, Was the previous answer useful?
    Friday, August 23, 2019 1:45 AM