UI Design Questions about Metro App

Question

• I am currently designing a metro style app for one of our broadband video clients. I am in the process of putting all the UI elements in place for this app, but I do have some questions and I am not sure whether some of the features that I designed out can be approved. Here they are:

1.     I know there is a app bar that the user can bring up to see additional functionalities. I am thinking about having a mini player always present no matter where the user is on the app. And the user can drag a video to the mini player to immediately play it in the mini player view instead of opening up a full-screen mode player. Can I do it this way? If not, Is there any workaround?

2.     As for playing a video, does it automatically goes full screen like the iPad does? Or can I customize it? For example, can I play it either in the mini player that is always present in the app, on a regular size player (not full screen) with the additional metadata that the user can look at, or in full screen mode?

3.    Can I put a Search icon on the screen? Instead of swipe from the right to bring up the Search Contract and then search, it is more convenient for the user the directly tap Search and the search contract will appear. It is not a different page but it is just one less step for the user to get access to the search results. 

Thanks a lot of any answers.

Nan

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:55 PM

All replies

• 1 & 2) Your app controls where and how the video is displayed within its window (full screen, filled, or snapped). You can show a video thumbnail in some views and a full app video in others.

3) See the Guidelines and checklist for search . If you are searching within your page then put a custom find-in-page command in the app bar, but you shouldn't duplicate the search contract for general search in the app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by roberkanho Friday, May 25, 2012 1:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by roberkanho Friday, May 25, 2012 1:09 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:20 PM
    Owner
  • 3.    Can I put a Search icon on the screen? Instead of swipe from the right to bring up the Search Contract and then search, it is more convenient for the user the directly tap Search and the search contract will appear. It is not a different page but it is just one less step for the user to get access to the search results. "

Is it really more convenient, though? Yeah there's an extra swipe, but it's also positioned right where your thumb is if you're holding the screen by the sides, and once someone gets used to the system muscle memory should make any standard motion faster than finding where each developer put their search button.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, Rob. I am thinking about have a mini video player and the watchlist always fixed at the bottom of the screen and the user can simply drag the a video from the horizontally scrollable browsing area to the video player to start playing it or to the watchlist to add it. Based on what you said, this is feasible and won't be rejected by the Windows store, right?

One comment that I got from my colleagues was that I need to think about the app bar conflicting with the fixed video player and watchlist. what do you think?

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:09 AM
  • That sounds reasonable to me. I can't speak specifically to what will and won't be rejected by the Windows Store, but I don't think this would be an issue. We're discussing more what would make a great app rather than what would be an allowed app. The certification requirements are more concerned about making sure the app is safe and predictable.

You definitely should think about the app bar conflicting with the video player, but whether that is a problem or not will depend on the app: will the user need to use both the app bar and the player at the same time?

If the video player and watch list are logically navigation controls then you may want to put them on a top app bar similar to how IE puts different pages. You can allow the user to stick that app bar open if they want or let it close if they aren't using it and prefer the screen real estate.

--Rob

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:32 PM
    Owner
  • Been wondering this too, any information would be awesome.

[url=http://freiconzone.com] Free Web Icons [/url]

Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:28 PM