Use folders or content types to manage permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the right sharepoint forum, so apologies if not.

I have a sharepoint document library that will be used by three distinct groups of people and I've used folders (with appropriate permissions) to separate the groups, so that people in the same group can change/delete documents uploaded by others in their group, while only having read access to documents from people in the other groups.

I used a single document library so that a few key users can get an overview of all documents and can, on a month by month basis, chase individuals that have not uploaded the required documents by the agreed date. I have views that show the documents by country and by month, since the three teams each have members in a defined group of countries and since the process producing the documents runs each month.

So: single document library; one folder per group with permissions set to control access; by country and by month views showing all documents from all groups.

I'd like to be able to add something to the by country and by month views that shows the group that owns each document. My first thought was to add the folder name as a column in the view - can't find a way to do that. Second thought was to create a calculated item that somehow referenced the folder name, like [Today] or [Me], I looked for a [Folder] function - not found a way to do that either. Third thought was to setup the folders to be custom content types and have a column that calculates its default value based on the custom content type ... but that feels like an overly complex solution, typical of being stuck in a particular way of approaching the problem.

How else could I do this? The intent is to show all users something that indicates which group owns a document without having to have group members choose their group when they upload a new document, and while avoiding the use of folders in the view (to get a flat view of all documents).

Would I be better defining content types (linked to the kinds of documents the users will upload) and doing away with folders completely? If I use content types, can I default the content type based on the user - so that there would be no need for a person belonging to group A to say "this document is created/maintained by group A and is read-only for other groups"?

• Edited by MisterBates Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:45 AM Additional thoughts...
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create a new column (e.g. Group) and use event handler to assign value to this column based on the folder name where the document has been uploaded.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• <bump>

Anyone have any ideas about how to show a containing foldername in a view (where the view itself is setup to be a flat view with no folder hierarchy)? Or is there a way to auto-assign a doc property based on who uploaded a document or where it was uploaded to?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

You can create a new column (e.g. Group) and use event handler to assign value to this column based on the folder name where the document has been uploaded.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:07 PM