locked
LightSwitch 2012 & Internet Explorer 10? Hell no, it's really dangerous... RRS feed

  • Question

  • Well,

    we'd like to warn you about using the Internet Explorer 10 in conjunction with LightSwitch 2012. It's pretty interesting, though:

    Our application consumes a WCF RIA Service. When the IE 9 is installed, everything works like a charme (well, almost..). However, when installing the IE 10, we suddenly experience a different in our application. Values are somehow cached. If I open up a new Detail Screen, change a value, close the Detail Screen and open the same screen again, the old value is displayed. But the database contains the new value. A refresh on this screen won't help.

    We had contact with some guys from Microsoft. Their advice was to downgrade to IE 9. That's really great. The IE 10 "has some problems", but the next version will be "the best Internet Explorer ever made"™.

    Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:05 PM

Answers

  • Howdy,

    we've sent the LS-Team a little sample, and they've figured out the problem.

    In our InitializeDataWorkspace()-Routine, we've initialized the main Property like this:

    this.tablenameProperty = data.tablename_SingleOrDefault(this.primaryKey);

    where data is defined as an instance of the DataSource through this.DataWorkSpace.DataSourceName.

    Now, replacing this line with the following one should solve the problem:

    this.tablenameProperty = data.tablename.Where(k => k.primaryKey == this.primaryKey.Value).SingleOrDefault();
                    

    This should work, although I didn't test it yet.

    //Edit:

    It works.

    • Marked as answer by DanielGilbert Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:00 AM
    • Edited by DanielGilbert Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:48 AM

All replies

  • Have you tested it in Chrome and Firefox?

    It's totaly unusable in these browser as well.  So great!!!

    Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:22 PM
  • @ryan lin:  I have reproduced your connect bug and we are investigating.

    @DanielGilbert:  Can you see if you are hitting the issue described in this blog post:

    Avoid LightSwitch URI Casing Issue Using the URL Rewrite Module

    To see if it is the same issue, use IE10 to hit your app's URL, and verify that the casing of the application part of the URL is the same as how it is deployed in IIS, so if the app was published as:

    http://yourserver/Test

    Type that exact casing into the URL (for the "Test" part, the rest doesn't matter).

    If you email me a Fiddler trace that contains the requests made when you see this behavior we will take a look.  david (dot) kidder (at) Microsoft (dot) com


    David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch



    Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:12 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Dave,

    Thank you so much, please do solve this problem before going RTM, this is really important I'm begging you.

    Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:45 AM
  • To be fair I have been using IE10 on Win8 for months with LightSwitch apps with no problems.

    So it is not 100% broke, but there are issues. It comes across as a total right-off from the text of this thread, which is a bit unfair. Like me, it is working fine for some other people and setups.


    Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.



    • Edited by Xpert360 Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:54 AM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Hi Dave

    I know this is a little late in the peace, but we are having the same issues as @ryan lin and @DanielGilbert (we are not running WCF RIA Service) in our Lightswitch 2012 apps.

    My colleague and I have installed IE10, as we have upgraded to VS2013, and the information is caching. BUT if you go into the Developer Tools (F12) and force the cache to use anyone of the top 3 selections, regrading clearing cache, the expected information is returned.

    We have also tested the app in Chrome and still getting the caching issue.

    To make sure we weren't seeing things, we tested it on another colleagues PC with IE9, no caching.

    Love to hear from you about any fixes.

    Cheers

    Paul

    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:46 PM
  • I have a large production VS2012 update 3 LS application that runs great.  It is a SL client web application connected to an external SQL server database.  We use it with IE 8, 9, 10, and Chrome.  I did experience some issues at one point that turned out to be URL casing.  I have been testing with some RIA services and have had a lot of trouble, but I can't say at this time that it is an LS problem.  I'm very curious about the caching issue, please update as this progresses.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:16 AM
  • Howdy,

    we've sent the LS-Team a little sample, and they've figured out the problem.

    In our InitializeDataWorkspace()-Routine, we've initialized the main Property like this:

    this.tablenameProperty = data.tablename_SingleOrDefault(this.primaryKey);

    where data is defined as an instance of the DataSource through this.DataWorkSpace.DataSourceName.

    Now, replacing this line with the following one should solve the problem:

    this.tablenameProperty = data.tablename.Where(k => k.primaryKey == this.primaryKey.Value).SingleOrDefault();
                    

    This should work, although I didn't test it yet.

    //Edit:

    It works.

    • Marked as answer by DanielGilbert Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:00 AM
    • Edited by DanielGilbert Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:48 AM