none
What is best way to develop app for Windows 7, Windows8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way to develop an app that needs to run on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1?  My ideas are:

1. Create a Portable Class Library  with a separate project for each environment that contains the UI elements and uses the PCL for data access and business logic;
    2. Create a separate application for Windows 7 Desktop; the create a Universal App for Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1.

Which is the best. My experience with PCLs is not positive.  They are very restricted.  But I hate to duplicate code.

Is there a better way.

Dick

Dick

Sunday, December 21, 2014 11:11 PM

Answers

• I'd try to put the business model in a PCL and then call that from separate Desktop and Universal apps.

You may need to use some inversion of control techniques to provide platform specific system services (files, networks, etc.) to the PCL with minimal external duplication.

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:16 PM

All replies

• I think the second one is more appropriate. Net application on Win7 is based on CLR. Universal App is based on runtime. 

I think you can think of this approach. If you have to share some same logic, you can host them in a WCF service. Use this service in Win7 desktop, universal app. They are both support.

Monday, December 22, 2014 3:06 PM
  • I'd try to put the business model in a PCL and then call that from separate Desktop and Universal apps.

You may need to use some inversion of control techniques to provide platform specific system services (files, networks, etc.) to the PCL with minimal external duplication.

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Thank you for your help.

Dick

Monday, December 22, 2014 7:42 PM