Disable Custom Field Template Data Overriding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Am working in SharePoint Designer 2007 . Using custom list i created one custom templates and saved it using "Save List as Template" option in "List Template" settings (The Template name is "Milestone"). Now the template is available in the gallery and using that template in my "First webpage" and added some data in that template.

Now i want to use the same template in "Second Webpage" . While adding the template ("Milestone") , all datas appearing default . But i need some new data in the Template . But its overriding . I just need the Template structure alone . Could any one guide me how to disable the override options .

Thanks for your valuable reply

• Moved by Xue-Mei Chang-MSFTModerator Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:36 AM not a sharepoint 2010 issue (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Monday, November 7, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Akilies,

Thanks for trying my steps, as I know, this is the proper way to meet your requirements, the list web part you added to the pages is sync with the list in SharePoint site, if you need the two pages to show different list content, you need to create a new list, and add the list web part on the page.

Thanks,
    Qiao

• Marked as answer by Akilies Monday, November 14, 2011 6:43 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You used SharePoint Desinger 2007, so your version of SharePoint must not be SharePoint 2010, so I move this thread to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/threads

Xue-Mei Chang
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Hi Akililes,

I’m not very clear about your requirement, do you want a list template without content in the list?

If so, you can choose to save list as template without content, in the Save As Template page, uncheck Include Content.

If it isn’t the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi Qiao,

Thanks for your response .

I agree with you . We can get all data's  while check the "Include Content" option . 

But here my requirement is different . 

I have created one list template called "Milestone" . This template contains two columns "Title" and "Description" .  I Entered some data and save this template in "Template Gallery

First webpage :

Now I create one new webpage and edit that page . Now i have an option called "Add webpart" . Here i adding the "Milestone" template . its completed and working fine.

Second webpage :         

Here is the thing , Now i create another webpage . The same way i edit the page and add the "Milestonte" webpart .  Now i got the same data as it is in "First webpage Milestone" template.  But i need some new data in the "Second webpage Milestone" template .

Again , If i change the data in "Second webpage Milestone" . It will override the "First webpage Milestone " template .

I just want the structure of the "Milestone" template (Title and Description) not data . The structure should be usable in different webpages .

For example , If i have ten different webpages  and all it have "Milestone" template . The "Milestone" template structure is same like "Title" and "Description" but datas are different. Hope you understand

Thanks

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Hi Akilies,

Thanks for posting back.

When you add web part in web part page, the web part you add is not the list template in Template Gallery, it is the list (Lists and Libraries) in SharePoint site, so, when you add web part in the second web page, as you add the same list, your new data will override the old data in the list.

To meet the requirement as you descripted, you may try the following steps:
    1. Create a list named Milestone, with your data like Title and Description.
    2. Save the list as template, named Milestone1, uncheck Include Content.
    3. Create a list using template Milestone1 (without content), named Milestone2.
    4. Then you can add list Milestone to the first web page, add list Milestone2 to the second web page.

Thanks,
    Qiao
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi Qiao ,

Great!!!  Thanks for your guide.

I was done that using the same idea :) . But i dont thing that is right way . Because we created duplicate templates . Well I just exploring about weather some other options is available...

Thanks lot

• Marked as answer by Akilies Monday, November 14, 2011 6:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Akilies Monday, November 14, 2011 6:43 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Akilies,

Thanks for trying my steps, as I know, this is the proper way to meet your requirements, the list web part you added to the pages is sync with the list in SharePoint site, if you need the two pages to show different list content, you need to create a new list, and add the list web part on the page.

Thanks,
    Qiao

• Marked as answer by Akilies Monday, November 14, 2011 6:43 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:12 PM