put a SQL express 2005 install on an already SQL express 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am looking for how to, issues and gotchya's on this.  i have sql express 2008 installed on a server 2003 machine that is used with an application.

i have another application that uses sql express 2005 that i would like to install on this machine.  these are different 3rd party vendor applications.

how would you do it and what do you think i should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

• you can install both SQL Express version side by side but you need to specify the instance name when installing SQL Server Express.

You need to check with your 3rd party vendor whether SQL Express 2005 installation does use the same instance name as your SQL Express 2008 installation.

why could you not use SQL Server Express 2008 installation with your 3rd party vendor applications. Often you can select an existing SQL Server when installing the application.

• Marked as answer by BC-RSCT Monday, April 2, 2012 12:32 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• you can install both SQL Express version side by side but you need to specify the instance name when installing SQL Server Express.

You need to check with your 3rd party vendor whether SQL Express 2005 installation does use the same instance name as your SQL Express 2008 installation.

why could you not use SQL Server Express 2008 installation with your 3rd party vendor applications. Often you can select an existing SQL Server when installing the application.

• Marked as answer by BC-RSCT Monday, April 2, 2012 12:32 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you.  i will follow up with the vendor to see if it can be directed to the 2008 install.

i wanted to be sure that i could ask the right questions as i have limited sql.

it sounds like the key thing is the instance if i install SQL express 2005 on the same server as sql express 2008.

thanks.

Monday, April 2, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you.  i will follow up with the vendor to see if it can be directed to the 2008 install.

i wanted to be sure that i could ask the right questions as i have limited sql.

it sounds like the key thing is the instance if i install SQL express 2005 on the same server as sql express 2008.

thanks.

I definitively recommend to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (or 2008R2 or 2012) as conforming application will have almost no problems with SQL 2008R2 and don't forget that the SQL 2005 had reached its product life cycle and transitioned to Extended support which means:

On April 12, 2011, SQL Server 2005 will transition from Mainstream Support to Extended Support, which includes:
    • Paid support (charged on an hourly basis per incident). Customers will no longer receive no-charge incident support and warranty claims, and won’t be able to request design changes or features.
    • Security update support at no additional cost.
    • Non-security related hotfix support will require a separate Extended Hotfix Support Agreement to be purchased within 90 days of the end of Mainstream Support – July 11th, 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/support/support-updates.aspx

Monday, April 2, 2012 4:59 PM