Click event on webview has huge lag on ARM device and locks entire device RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a webview to display several aspects in my app.  

I've migrated the app to 8.1 and most aspects work well.  

Except for the webview on ARM devices.  Any function that relies on handling a click event has a huge lag that locks up the entire device.

The app is mainly links on the left that opens articles, images, or comments on the right side. 

So, this affects the entire usage of my app.

I've noticed that if I maximize the image and hide all other controls, the click events work just fine.  But if there are xaml controls on the same page then it works horribly.

I've had the exact same layout and functionality working on my windows 8 build with no issues at all.  This is a new development with 8.1.

Please help, there is no way I can release the app in this state.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hi JavierLSU,

It is quite strange behavior, try to create a new project and to randomly use some controls to see if the issue still exist? I don't think the issue relates with windows 8.1, but might be the problem of migrate.

Checkout the documentation: Retarget your Windows Store app to Windows 8.1 to see if this may help you.

Besides you also mentioned you test the app on ARM, have you ever test with pc?

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi James,

Thanks for getting back with me.

I have created a new project with 8.1 and added 2 webviews and a list view and the symptoms are still there.  Just not as bad of a lag.  My app seems to have a lot going on with the ui.  I also wondered if it was a bad migration.  I followed all the instructions in the link you provided when I initially migrated my app.  But then once I noticed the issue, I spent several days recreating my app in a completely new solution to see if it was a migration issue.  And the issue persisted, it wasn't improved in the slightest.

Then I tried to go about hiding elements in a different way, and it only helped in certain views.  But overall a ~4 second lag still persists.

I have tested on a PC, and it works fine.  I've been working on the migration for a while (since rtm was released to msdn).  But I've only been able to test on an arm devices since the official release on the 17th.

As far as webview goes, I've had issues with the webview locking up the ui in the past.  And according to Matt Small it's considered common knowledge that this happens.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/1600a130-59d2-4a2f-bfe3-18b7bbbc57b1/why-does-the-webview-cause-my-app-to-hang?forum=winappswithcsharp#e735886c-b61e-4012-9998-bbc81ca28107

Unfortunately the problem I posted in the other thread also persists.  I just didn't expect it to get worse.

As I mentioned.  The problem does not exist when I publish from visual studio 2012 and run in 8.1.  It's only from apps compiled to run for 8.1 and only in ARM devices.

Please help, at this rate I won't be able to support my app for windows 8.1 at all.  And may have to abandon the app completely.  A ~4 second delay on my app won't be acceptable to my users.  I've worked so hard on this, and I would hate to have to do this.  I don't have monster numbers for my app, but I'm at ~35,000 downloads.

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:17 PM