none
URL in email sent by VB.NET Application turns out weird RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I received an email generated by a .NET web application and there is a link at the bottom of the page which turns out weird. The URL displays nicely as follows (For eg. Https://MyApp.com/Request/Request.aspx?id=12345678) But upon clicking on the link, it brings up the IE with a different url - (Https://MyApp.com/Re%0d%0a%20quest/Request.aspx?id=12345678) When i went and view the source of the email, the link displays correctly, but the underlying value of a href is Https://MyApp.com/Re%0d%0a%20quest/Request.aspx?id=12345678 which is wrong.

I've checked my application thoroughly and it should sent out the proper link and surprisingly, the link does not always reflect like this, it's intermittent.

If it helps, the email is sent to MS Outlook 2007. Has anyone encountered this before ?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is very likely caused by your application or some component loaded in that process (e.g. race in a library you use). I think the best thing to do is to add some logging in your app that would track all sources of this link in various stages of processing. When it happens again, check out the logs to see where the extra characters came from.

-Karel
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:26 AM
  • if that is the case, why is this issue intermittent ? Are there any explanations for this ?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Yes, there are exaplanations for intermittent behavior - for example as I mentioned in my previous reply: race in a library you use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition#Computing)
    Or usage of unallocated memory in a native component in your app.
    And many more possible reasons.

-Karel
    • Marked as answer by Ivan Ben Ker Friday, January 29, 2010 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:37 PM