none
Access 2016 Formatting Subreports RRS feed

• Question

• My order processing is built on two table/form pairs: tblOPM/frmOPM for customer "header info" and tblOPD/frmOPD for order details (line items). That's all fine, but I'm making heavy weather of reports (sales order, delivery note, invoice). Using layouts on the forms is easy enough, if not a bit tedious, but trying to do the same with reports seems confusing. I want to have header info in the main report, with line items in a subreport, and it's the subreport that's giving me trouble.
    If someone can give me some general pointers on subreport formatting, or better still point me at a suitable tutorial, then I'd be most grateful. I've surfed around a good deal and found lots of help articles, but nothing really that gives me the help I need.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I feel your pain. I, myself, try to avoid creating report as much as possible. I prefer/recommend exporting data into Excel, so the user can format it any which way they want.

On the matter of headings missing for the subreport, there is a property in design view of the main report to either display the headings for subreports or not. Try setting it to yes (sorry, I can't remember the name of the property at the moment). Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll look it up for you.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by NK-Bristol Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:04 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What exactly are you having troubles with when using subreports? If you open the subreports as a standalone report, do they look okay?

Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for your response, DBguy.

I'm working on the subreport standalone, mainly in design view. All the subreport should contain is a row of column titles (labels) in the page header section, with the line items controls in the detail area. I've moved on a bit since I posted, in that I now have the format looking OK, but it just seemed like a lot of effort to get there (lining up titles with associated data, maintaining required line heights, etc.)....and I'm only making a Delivery Note at present (so no prices, totals, etc.), hence I'm a little apprehensive about moving on to an invoice!

One problem that took a while to get around was when trying to set the label row (in page header) as a tabular layout --- when I hit Layout|Tabular, the label row jumped from the page header to the detail area, and (in layout view) an instance of the new layout looked to be superimposing on each line item row, making the whole detail area largely illegible.

Finally, I see I still have a problem....

With subreport standalone, the line items and their headings display properly in all views, but when I open the main report instead the line items display properly in all views but the column headers are only visible in design view.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

I feel your pain. I, myself, try to avoid creating report as much as possible. I prefer/recommend exporting data into Excel, so the user can format it any which way they want.

On the matter of headings missing for the subreport, there is a property in design view of the main report to either display the headings for subreports or not. Try setting it to yes (sorry, I can't remember the name of the property at the moment). Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll look it up for you.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by NK-Bristol Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:04 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Hi, DBguy, I got it....thanks to you!

For anyone who might be following this thread, the solution is to open the main report and select the subreport control. Then, in the properties sheet "Format" tab, set "Show Page Header and Page Footer" to "Yes".

Perfect, thanks very much for your help.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

Excellent work! Continued success with your project.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:35 PM