The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Service Fabric!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Service Fabric Local Cluster Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly my local service fabric developer environment stops working. I tried restarting the "Microsoft Service Fabric Host Service" but it always says "Starting". I uninstall developer service fabric components completely from control panel and reinstall from web platform installer. After re running the "DevClusterSetup.ps1" PowerShell as per the documentation I am still getting the same error. Below is the screen shot of error I am getting. Please help me to resolve this. I am using Windows 10 and Visual studio 2015 Update 1.

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:46 AM

Answers

• Ajay,

I had this exact scenario a couple of days ago and followed the directions you have probably already looked up on the Forums here and Stack Overflow. None of the responses that were suggested for earlier versions of Azure Service Fabric resolved my issue.

Instead of wasting additional time attempting to resolve the issue, I did the following:

Spun up a new Server 2012 R2 VM (Patched)

Installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 Community Edition

Installed Azure SDK 2.8

Installed Azure Service Fabric SDK 1.4.87.9494

Alternatively, if you have access to an Azure Subscription, you could deploy a Microsoft Image in Azure that is preinstalled with Visual Studio and Azure SDK 2.8.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hello Ajay, beside the recommedation to use all the newest software versions (VS2015, SF sdk, Azure sdk)  you could try moving the local cluster on a different disk. It grows very quickly and it was eating all my system disk space so I moved it on a large data disk. You need to use this power shell script (in the example move from c: to d:, use letters to suit your disks)

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Service Fabric\ClusterSetup> .\DevClusterSetup.ps1 -PathToClusterLogRoot D:\sfcluster\log -PathToClusterDataRoot D:\sfcluster\data

DEfinitely you should have the local cluster working because you can debug into source with VS, AFAIK it's not yet possible to do that to cluster hosted in azure.

I hope it can help

Best wishes

Antonio

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:24 PM

All replies

• Ajay,

I had this exact scenario a couple of days ago and followed the directions you have probably already looked up on the Forums here and Stack Overflow. None of the responses that were suggested for earlier versions of Azure Service Fabric resolved my issue.

Instead of wasting additional time attempting to resolve the issue, I did the following:

Spun up a new Server 2012 R2 VM (Patched)

Installed Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 Community Edition

Installed Azure SDK 2.8

Installed Azure Service Fabric SDK 1.4.87.9494

Alternatively, if you have access to an Azure Subscription, you could deploy a Microsoft Image in Azure that is preinstalled with Visual Studio and Azure SDK 2.8.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thanks for answer. I do have windows 10 VM on which it is working. Now I got windows 10 as my core os on which service fabric earlier is working. I believe after installing Visual studio 2015 Update1 or Azure SDK 2.8.1 this stops working. I am trying to figure out why it is not working. As you also suggested, I have option to use my MSDN subscription to use "Azure Service Fabric" that Microsoft recently made available in preview mode or use their Service Fabric Party server (time based). But I think local environment give more flexibility to work.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Hello Ajay, beside the recommedation to use all the newest software versions (VS2015, SF sdk, Azure sdk)  you could try moving the local cluster on a different disk. It grows very quickly and it was eating all my system disk space so I moved it on a large data disk. You need to use this power shell script (in the example move from c: to d:, use letters to suit your disks)

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Service Fabric\ClusterSetup> .\DevClusterSetup.ps1 -PathToClusterLogRoot D:\sfcluster\log -PathToClusterDataRoot D:\sfcluster\data

DEfinitely you should have the local cluster working because you can debug into source with VS, AFAIK it's not yet possible to do that to cluster hosted in azure.

I hope it can help

Best wishes

Antonio

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:24 PM