workflow scenario in WSS not working RRS feed

• Question

• This just couldn't be more simple.  I created a list in WSS 3.0 (SBS 2008) that I mail enabled.  It is getting emails just fine.

I used SharePoint Designer 2007 to create a workflow on the list.  All it does is to send an email with no conditions; the workflow specifies to do this whenever a new item is created in the list.  I have also tried setting up a similar workflow when a fax drops into the Fax Center InBox.

Since SBS 2008 comes with Exchange Server 2007 built in, there is no SMTP service added.  The only email configuration for outgoing was to specify the server name (same as the box running SBS, Exchange, WSS).

Any ideas of how to track down the problem, or what config should or shouldn't be made?

Thanks in advance.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:58 AM All unnecessary text that did not describe the problem removed from Title. Write a problem description only
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:59 AM SBS 2008 are not covered in the SharePoint forums. See the sticky post in SharePoint - General for where to post them to (the sbs newsgroup) (From:SharePoint - Workflow)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:33 AM

All replies

• Have you confirmed that email from SharePoint is working period?  Do alerts or tasks successfully send emails?

If so, then this may be the known issue where the incoming email gets placed in the library by System Account, which then does not trigger workflows.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:39 AM
  • That is probably the culprit.  Is there any suggested workaround?  Is there a condition that will trigger this even if the System Account is doing the dirty?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:36 AM
  • That is probably the culprit.  Is there any suggested workaround?  Is there a condition that will trigger this even if the System Account is doing the dirty?

I can't remember exactly, but I think there is a fix or workaround.  I have seen this discussed in multiple places, so if you search for this scenario on here and through your preferred search engine, you are likely to find several discussions around the email enabled list not being able to trigger workflows.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:54 AM