none
Network Issue with net view using fully qualified domain name RRS feed

• Question

• When is do a net view on the server name it works, when i do net view on the FQDN it gives an error.
    This is a problem because our login script uses FQDN as it should be. Anyone has any idea why FQDN doesn't work but simple server name does ?
    OS : Windows Server 2008 R2 (all newest windows updates are installed) It seems to work after installing the OS but after a while it stops working.
    I've formatted and reinstalled twice already and this probleem keeps comming back, on the windows server 2003 R2 we don't have this problem?!

C:\>net view \\fs-bru-fs04
    Shared resources at \\fs-bru-fs04

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    appl        Disk
    Finance     Disk
    The command completed successfully.
    C:\>net view \\fs-bru-fs04.marineharvest.net
    System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:40 PM

All replies

• Did you ever figure out your problem?

I have a similar problem I can net view using IP, NetBIOS but not with the FQDN.  The weird part is it's just one particular FQDN.

I can net view \\serverb.mydomain.local, but not \\servera.mydomain.local.  net view \\servera works!  Ping servera or servera.mydomain.local works! Net view \\IP works!

Really weird part: The only place I have this problem is within a server 2008 r2 guest vm that I'm using for remote desktop access.  The host system has no issues with net view \\FQDN.  I have another guest VM that is configured as a DC of another forest / domain that also has NO PROBLEM performing the net view \\FQDN.

It's not life-changing but it kinda pisses me off and I'm using GPO to do my mappings and this is the only (virtual) box that won't play nice.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks -

jbw

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Solved my problem.

The server I could see was a 2008 Server, the one that was failing (net view \\FQDN) was a 2003 Server.  2003 servers don't use IPv6 (at least not by default). 

This hotfix did the trick http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978738

I hope this helps someone.

jbw

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Computer Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:11 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:11 PM