"An item with the same key has already been added." RRS feed

• Question

•  

I get an argument exception is Dispatcher.AddCausality that I don't understand.  What does this error mean?

Here is the code that causes the exception:

Code Snippet

Causality causality = new Causality(Guid.NewGuid().ToString(), ExceptionPort);

Dispatcher.AddCausality(causality);

Assuming the "key" is the name of the causality, then there shouldn't be a problem, because each causality has a unique name. 

It appears that the error is related to removal of causalities. My code removes causalities when they go out of scope using an IDisposable wrapper. If I comment out the RemoveCausality call then I no longer get the exception on AddCausality!

I am using CCR v2.0.730.3

-Erik

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:19 PM

Answers

• can you post a bit more details or a simple repro case that can help us find this?

Doing:

AddCausality()

RemoveCausality()

AddCausality()

cause this problem? Remember that removing causalities only works in the current thread context you are doing the Dispatchr.RemoveCausality() call. It does *not* remove them across all threads.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:00 PM

All replies

• can you post a bit more details or a simple repro case that can help us find this?

Doing:

AddCausality()

RemoveCausality()

AddCausality()

cause this problem? Remember that removing causalities only works in the current thread context you are doing the Dispatchr.RemoveCausality() call. It does *not* remove them across all threads.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  

Well, I blew it. I can't reproduce this myself anymore.  It's hard to reproduce because the code interacts with a service outside of my control (Amazon SimpleDB)

For what it is worth, I am certain that I wasn't removing causalities across threads. Under this assumption there might be a bug, right?  If I come across this problem again I'll work hard to get a reproducable case.

-Erik

Friday, May 16, 2008 11:18 PM