Use of Expander in Windows Store Apps

Question

• I've noted that many "traditional" controls don't exist in WinRT because their usage/definition is inconsistent with the "Design Language Formerly Known As Metro" (sorry...after this long it's gonna take a little adjustment time). Obviously a TabControl is not provided because the nature of a TabControl's functionality is obsoleted by the design language. This test works for most of the "traditional" controls that are missing from the WinRT world.

But the Expander is one that is baffling me. Sure, it has a bit of chrome (the ToggleButton)...but the purpose of an Expander is to show/hide detail information. So this definition makes me think that the ToggleButton chrome is no worse than any other button not on the AppBars.

So before I go ahead and roll my own Expander substitute, I wanted to do a sanity check to see if I was missing something in the design language that addresses the Expander control scenario.

Is the topic of the Expander's role covered by the design language?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• Well Rob certainly has ALL the answers. I've had to stop using this wretched site because of moderators like him who mark answers as THE answer even when they don't answer the O/P's question. (Then they threaten to evict you from the site for mentioning the disservice they are doing to their users/employer).

Bye bye Micro$oft...you don't need me anymore...you've got ROB and his awesomeness. Maybe now he'll buy my share of your products so my stock value doesn't tank.

• Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, January 28, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:32 PM
  • I've moved on folks. I was fine until the private messages. Like I said, I don't use this site anymore...the answers aren't reliable. Enough said.
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, February 11, 2013 9:14 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 9:13 PM

All replies

• You can implement an Expander control yourself. If you're using Xaml then take a look at the Silverlight Toolkit for an example of how they were implemented there (and note that the Expander was not part of Silverlight itself).

--Rob

Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:56 PM
    Owner
  • Of course I realize I can implement an Expander myself (see the above line "So before I go ahead and roll my own Expander substitute..."). Regardless of how clearly one words a question, it seems stunningly inevitable that some people still won't read...moderators even less so.

If you read the last line above, you'll see the actual question. I'm trying to determine whether the expander is an appropriate control for use within the Design Language Formerly Known As Metro.

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:39 PM
  • If you can reproduce the Expander logic [which I believe can easily be done] and you feel it can be
    somehow useful in your app, then I really don't see why not...

I'd like to point out however that porting all Silverlight Toolkit XAML code to Windows 8 might
    sometimes lead you to some unexpected surprise, if you're not prepared.
    So it's not just a matter of Cut and Paste...

That is, for example if you take a close look at chart which are now available on
    Windows 8 toolkit, it's basically the same basic coding logic found
    in Silverlight toolkit. 
    Though when it comes to add a Legend, you soon realize
    you're not quite there yet and that you have to dig a bit deeper in hierarchy.
    That's where your creativity comes in. You have the choice of either experimenting on your own or
    use a 3rd party.

Talking about 3rd party tools, some went a bit beyound basic convention and I was even surprised to see
    that someone created something pretty similar to Blacklight DragDock Panel.
    Seems like I wasn't the only one to have thought about it.

Same as for a Tab Control. Not a carbon copy you'd find in Silverlight or WPF but still useful in some scenario... 

Like I said there's nothing like trying and see for yourself...

Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Agree with Rob, I think the expander control which create by yourself was very easy to create. Just go ahead.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Well Rob certainly has ALL the answers. I've had to stop using this wretched site because of moderators like him who mark answers as THE answer even when they don't answer the O/P's question. (Then they threaten to evict you from the site for mentioning the disservice they are doing to their users/employer).

Bye bye Micro$oft...you don't need me anymore...you've got ROB and his awesomeness. Maybe now he'll buy my share of your products so my stock value doesn't tank.

• Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, January 28, 2013 3:32 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Jimbo, I can feel your frustration - nobody in this thread bothered trying to answer your original question!

C'mon guys, is this really abusive?

Palo

Palo Mraz

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Palo, I agree with you. A little snarky, maybe, but not abusive. And who doesn't get snarky when they're frustrated?

Jimbo, given that there are "authorized" widgets in the WinRT language--like the Popup and PopupMenu--that demonstrate almost identical functionality, I think you can make a very strong case that the Expander has been omitted, not made obsolete.

FWIW...

Rebecca M. Riordan

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:29 PM
  • Hi Jimbo,

I can understand why you might get frustrated if you feel that Rob did not answer your direct question  (No, this is not specifically called out.) Rather than simply say that, he tried to provide additional information and context that he thought would help.

From that point if it doesn't help, you have 2 choices: Reply and clarify what you are looking for, or leave it. But this response was disrespectful and completely out of scope for the question you were asking (as has your responses in other threads with Rob.)

You are welcome to continue your research here and ask question, but I ask that you remain professional in your communication with other users and the moderators.

Thanks.

-Dan

@danreagan || Team Manager, Windows Store Developer Solutions || Want more solutions? @WSDevSol and Blog: http://aka.ms/t4vuvz

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:43 PM
  • I've moved on folks. I was fine until the private messages. Like I said, I don't use this site anymore...the answers aren't reliable. Enough said.
    • Marked as answer by Jimbo Mx Monday, February 11, 2013 9:14 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 9:13 PM