none
Project Server 2010 deleting all project resource custom fields on PSI update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

First some backstory. We are migrating from PS 2007 to 2010 and have moved our data over using the database attach full method of upgrading. 2010 is still in 2007 compatibility mode. We have several event handlers that I am in the process of migrating as well. In doing that, I have come across some odd behavior which I have been able to replicate just using the ProjTool sample application (so not specific to our code, though it is very similar to the ProjTool code).

We have a couple of resource custom fields that we use for materials resources (project resources): ResourceType (Travel, Procurement, etc) and UnloadedRate (STD_RATE gets set to UnloadedRate*materials_rate for loading). The issue I am having is that whenever I try to update a project using PSI, all of these project resource custom fields get deleted and I cannot determine why. This is especially a problem when I try to update the UnloadedRate custom field from PSI. The custom field gets deleted sometime before the update happens, so when it goes to update it, the row is gone and so SQL and Project complain.

I can reproduce this behavior using ProjTool:

1. Add resource custom fields to a project using Project Pro 2010, save and close project

2. Run ProjTool and login

3. Open same project details and go to ProjectResourceCustomFields tab

4. Change the value of one of the custom fields

5. Click the Update Project button

This fails and results in an error that blocks correlation. If I edit some other piece of the project (not a project resource custom field), it completes successfully, but the project resource custom fields are still gone. In all this, there are still some resource custom fields associated with the enterprise resources (people) in the project.

Any ideas what might be going on? Edits with the Project Pro client seem to be fine. Edits using PSI, either through ProjTool or my event handler code, result in no more resource custom fields. Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:36 PM

All replies

• can you post the details of the error blocking the correlation?
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:54 PM
  • I don't think it's really relevant. I can get the same problem (missing project resource custom fields) without a correlation blocking error.

Here are the details from PWA:

Datasets:
    • ProjectDataSet
      • Table ProjectResourceCustomFields
        • Row: CUSTOM_FIELD_UID='ec410e08-8ccc-46ae-a307-6c3023fc5e6d'
          • Error GeneralDalNoRowsUpdated (26028) - column  

General
    • Project:
      • ProjectUpdateDatabaseException (9135). Details: id='9135' name='ProjectUpdateDatabaseException' uid='3f88305c-0239-4499-ac28-fe71fa691cbd'.
    • Queue:
      • GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ProjectUpdate.ProjectUpdateMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='6c04e043-8de5-4d6f-9aac-c3eba787ca46' JobUID='9b03b6d8-af79-4436-92a2-6f5352494565' ComputerName='PROJECTAPP2010' GroupType='ProjectUpdate' MessageType='ProjectUpdateMessage' MessageId='2' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine PROJECTAPP2010 for entries with JobUID 9b03b6d8-af79-4436-92a2-6f5352494565.

The No Rows Updated is from the fact that the project resource custom field is no longer there when it goes to update the row.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:02 PM