do we need Windows 8 as a major desktop OS?

General discussion

• 1. Usability is awfull - you cannot close Metro app, cannot find how many of them are running (no taskbar), cannot stack them on screen, I mean so many major UI thing sare missing, no way this can pass ANY usability testing, probably Microsoft do not bother to hire any usability experts when doing a new UI. Now I have seen this happening many times with custom applications, but to screw completely the whole OS UI seems to me is one step too far. Now I understand they are trying to do somehing that can run on tiny phone, medium tablet screen and big desktop screen, but the question is the users want that? I mean if I do a desktop piblishing on two 24 inch screens do I want to have same UI as on 3 inch phone and do you thing it is posssible to satisfy different UI requirements with 1 UI only???

2. It is unbelievably slow for UI which seems to me more or less hardcoded

3. The whole idea of having HTML and javascript running locally - what can I say here this is wrong in so many ways I will leave it to you to figure it out.

I have been in software development for more than 25 years and defintely the whole thing wins worst technology I have ever seen even beating Java applets.

Add the fact it goes directly against .NET, WPF and Silverlight UI developments, and its some kind of deja vue for me. In the past Microsoft has abandoned VB6 platform in order to push for .NET, I have spend my last 10 years convincing clients to re-platform their solutions to .NET, do you think I will do the same now for Metro???? Do not think so...

The whole windows 8 concept is one huge mistake and do not expect any support from us for this...

Am I the only one who cries here: "the Emperor isn't wearing anything at all".

Please do let me know do we need Windows 8 as a major desktop OS? Why just do not call it Windows 8 mobile and create a proper OS for the desktop users that can tie their own shoe laces?

Regards Valko
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:14 PM

All replies

• 1. I agree with the usability issues.  We've brought up the usability issues to Microsoft repeatedly, but they just ignore us.  Apparently, they've adopted a new strategy where the best way to solve a problem is to pretend it doesn't exist. 

2. Performance is fine for me.  Which apps are running slower for you?

3. You're already running HTML and JavaScript locally.  You're just downloading them from the Internet first.  :)  Seriously, most kids coming out of school with computer science degrees already know HTML and JavaScript.  This is simply a way to get them to develop for Windows.  I don't know whether it will work, but there is a valid reason for it.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:37 PM
  • most of them cant run at all, the browser is very slow, the social one

I know we run HTML and javascript in the browser, however we do that because nothing alse run in browser for Internet applications only, that is the most ineffectibe way to run application, also javascript is weakly typed which changes completely development too, why do we want everybody to start developing for Windows? To make some analogy here do we want to have all cars designed back to T-ford 1910 because everybody can fix them?

Frankly I do not see how on earth that can be desktop OS. Do we want Crysis developed on javascript...

Regards Valko
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:19 PM
  • most of them cant run at all, the browser is very slow, the social one

I know we run HTML and javascript in the browser, however we do that because nothing alse run in browser for Internet applications only, that is the most ineffectibe way to run application, also javascript is weakly typed which changes completely development too, why do we want everybody to start developing for Windows? To make some analogy here do we want to have all cars designed back to T-ford 1910 because everybody can fix them?

Frankly I do not see how on earth that can be desktop OS. Do we want Crysis developed on javascript...

Regards Valko

You mean the Metro apps are running slow?  I know the Piano app takes forever to load.  To be honest, I don't run many of the Metro apps.  There aren't an productivity apps and the Facebook app is ugly.

Yes, JavaScript sucks.  I know that.  Call it an accident, call it a freak of nature, but JavaScript is the most popular language on the planet.  Microsoft is simply providing a way for these developers to code for their platform.  More developers = more apps = more customers = more money.

Just because the JavaScript language is loosely typed doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't create an IDE that forces (or at least warns) developers to follow good programming practices.  For example, if I type:

var a = 0;

a = "Hello world";

There's no reason why a good IDE can't give me a warning that I'm doing something dumb.

Also, they're adding a new strict mode to the language.

http://javascriptweblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/javascript-strict-mode/

Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:09 PM