none
Ssl Cipher Suites RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find out what cipher suites are supported 'out of the box' on windows 7 and 8 and what determines which ones are available when using the SslStream class.

I have found articles that relate to those supported by the Schannel SSPI:

Cipher Suites in Schannel

TLS Cipher Suites for TLS 1.0 in Windows Server 2003 and XP

Secure Sockets Layer Protocol However, I believe that the underlying SSPI is now the Cryptographic Next Generation (CNG) framework. I would be grateful if anyone could help.

Friday, March 28, 2014 2:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JL,

What’s the meaning of “out-of-box” on windows 7 and 8? Did you want to configure two-way SSL connections like using the pre-defined SSL Socket provider in the following page? http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24290_01/coh.371/e22841/ssl.htm

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Hi Herro

Thanks for the reply.

By "out of the box" I mean that there would be no need to change the windows installation to allow additional cipher suites.

I am only using the SslStream class in .Net and am not sure how the Oracle reference applies in this instance.

To reiterate my question is

What cipher suites are available, when using the .Net SslStream class to create a connection without having to modify the machines underlying Windows 7 or 8 installation?

Thanks again.

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:04 AM
  • Hi JL,

> What cipher suites are available, when using the .Net SslStream class to create a connection without having to modify the machines underlying Windows 7 or 8 installation?

I don’t know how to, but if there is a tool that can test what SSL/TLS cipher suites a particular website offers maybe meet your requirement. See the reference. http://superuser.com/questions/109213/is-there-a-tool-that-can-test-what-ssl-tls-cipher-suites-a-particular-website-of.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:42 AM