A beginner question RRS feed

• Question

• User609686767 posted

Hi,

Since VWD 2008 runs without IIS (because it seems I don't have one installed in my laptop with XP Home version), I would pressume it is a built-in functionality? But when I try to add a AdRotator control to a page and tried to set the 'AdvertisementFile' value, it cannot find the XML file even though it's there! How can that be, where is it looking, when I saved and put all the files in one folder in C: directory?

I don't know how to check my framework version, as I don't have IIS, or can I? I pressume it is 3.5 since I'm using the 2008 version of vwd.

Thanks

Friday, April 10, 2009 6:01 AM

Answers

• User1564875471 posted

Since VWD 2008 runs without IIS (because it seems I don't have one installed in my laptop with XP Home version), I would pressume it is a built-in functionality?

VWD have a build in development server ( aka to cassinni), that's why you can work on windows home editions.

How can that be, where is it looking, when I saved and put all the files in one folder in C: directory?

The advertisment file must have a relative file :

Example:

<asp:AdRotator ID="AdRotator1" runat="server" AdvertisementFile="~/App_Data/Advertisments.xml"  />

Actually , in asp.net development . you should not use physical paths in your code.

Also , it's recommend to place the data files under App_Data folder so that the uses can't download those files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:53 AM

All replies

• User1564875471 posted

Since VWD 2008 runs without IIS (because it seems I don't have one installed in my laptop with XP Home version), I would pressume it is a built-in functionality?

VWD have a build in development server ( aka to cassinni), that's why you can work on windows home editions.

How can that be, where is it looking, when I saved and put all the files in one folder in C: directory?

The advertisment file must have a relative file :

Example:

<asp:AdRotator ID="AdRotator1" runat="server" AdvertisementFile="~/App_Data/Advertisments.xml"  />

Actually , in asp.net development . you should not use physical paths in your code.

Also , it's recommend to place the data files under App_Data folder so that the uses can't download those files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:53 AM
  • User609686767 posted

Thank you Anas, that relative character solved the problem.

Friday, April 10, 2009 5:04 PM