none
Constraining tasks within X days of each other RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to constrain/link tasks to happen within a customized number of days from each other? For example, I have a deliverable that is up in the air. But I know that regardless of when it happens I need to perform a task 30 days prior to it. So if the deliverable date changes I want the "30 day prior" task to automatically update when I change the deliverable date. This seems easy enough, is it possible?
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:24 PM

All replies

• emclagz,

It is easy. There are a couple of ways to approach it. Depending on whether the "30 day prior" task is supposed to finish or start 30 days prior to the finish of the deliverable date, use one of the two approaches shown below. Note, if you need calendar days instead of working days, enter the lag as "30ed".

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:39 PM
  • I'm having a little trouble with this - I got it to work yesterday but now it doesn't seem to. When I use this method to schedule a manual task it works, but making it manual means that when I change the "task a" task (using your labeling for clarity) the "report" does not change. When I change the task to auto task it automatically changes to today's date and does not respond to my predecessor. Any idea why this is happening? My duration of each task is only one day, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:59 AM
  • emclagz,

My advice, do not use manual scheduling. Manual scheduling is intended for initial rough planning and should not be used for an active plan. As you discovered dependencies do not always follow the desired logic with manually scheduled tasks.

Convert everything to auto-schedule. Then apply one of the two approaches I presented and it should work fine.

John

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:15 PM