none
Custom UI Error - Excel 2013 Ribbon customization will not appear RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7, Excel 2010 and 2013, both 32-bit versions (two different computers)

I created a very simple Excel VBA add-in which includes a custom ribbon tab/group/control. The add-in works fine in Excel 2010, but the custom ribbon tab does not appear when installed in Excel 2013. The add-ins dialog confirms that the add-in is, in fact, loaded. But the custom GUI elements are just not there.

I found an Excel Option setting titled "Show add-in user interface errors" (under the "Advanced" options). When I check this option and then try to load my add-in in Excel 2013, I get an error message that says:

"The custom UI associated with this document has been disabled by policy".

Very little info available when Googling this error (or Binging it, either) other than it's a group policy setting that should be handled by the IT folks in charge of such things. My IT dept assures me there is no such restrictive policy in place.

Does anyone know what this error message means and how I can address the problem?

8/25/2015 UPDATE:

This error is, in fact, caused by a group policy setting. Just had to find the right person to confirm it. With the new policy settings, all future add-ins must be signed by a Trusted Publisher or it will not be allowed to load. Just wanted to share this with the forum.

• Edited by Marak60 Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:25 PM Updated information
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:56 PM