Send a copy of the project to someone else RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, I've been zipping up my project and sending it to another developer for further work. Previously it's been fine.

Now he says he can't compile it because of some .png files required by a new form that I recently added. There're in an imagelist, which I assume is stored in the form's .resx file.

The project I sent him works fine on my computer but not on his, even tho it has all the .resx files. There must be some information about these .png images stored on my computer which isn't in the project's folder. Where can I find this?

Thursday, January 1, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• Maybe you can send him the .png files and have him readd them to the imagelist .
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 3:36 AM
  • I have found that doing a simple local copy of a VB project, or even deleting an unused form from a project, can be a real pain due to the way resources etc. are stored in the project, it was much simpler in the good old days!  Moaning aside.......

The .resx file appears to be just a simple XML file.  So make a copy (for safetys sake) and have a look at it in notepad for the references to the "missing" .png files and see if this provides a clue as to what is going on.  I'm not sure if this will help but it's worth a try. 

Chris
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Itareus said:

I have found that doing a simple local copy of a VB project, or even deleting an unused form from a project, can be a real pain due to the way resources etc. are stored in the project, it was much simpler in the good old days!  Moaning aside.......

The .resx file appears to be just a simple XML file.  So make a copy (for safetys sake) and have a look at it in notepad for the references to the "missing" .png files and see if this provides a clue as to what is going on.  I'm not sure if this will help but it's worth a try. 

Chris

Both resx files are identical (because I simply copied them). Even after compiling the copied project, it doesn't seem to have touched the resx file, they both contain a big load of binary data which must be the images. And it does use the images correctly when I compile it.

Is there perhaps some proper way of copying a project from within the IDE?

I only have slow communication with the other developer, and he works very few hours. So I just want to make it work reliably instead of asking him to jump through hoops.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:01 AM
  • I just zip the whole project folder . I mean everything should be there .
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:30 AM
  • I have projects with images but they are not kept in the resx file, they are in the resources directory and they are reference by the resx file as in the extract  below:

<data name="arrow-forward_16" type="System.Resources.ResXFileRef, System.Windows.Forms">
        <value>..\Resources\arrow-forward_16.gif;System.Drawing.Bitmap, System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a</value>

In this case the image file is located in the "(project)..\Resources\"
    directory.  It would be worth checking to ensure that the other developer has the files located in the correct place.

Also in VB go to "Project" menu "Properties" and then the "Resources" tab in both copies.  Check they both reference the same resources.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Is your program pointing to a specific file path that may be different on his computer?

Just a thought, cause I had that happen to myself on my network here.

User name path to my documents was different on the two computers.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Itareus said:

I have projects with images but they are not kept in the resx file, they are in the resources directory and they are reference by the resx file as in the extract  below:

<data name="arrow-forward_16" type="System.Resources.ResXFileRef, System.Windows.Forms">
        <value>..\Resources\arrow-forward_16.gif;System.Drawing.Bitmap, System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a</value>

In this case the image file is located in the "(project)..\Resources\"
    directory.  It would be worth checking to ensure that the other developer has the files located in the correct place.

Also in VB go to "Project" menu "Properties" and then the "Resources" tab in both copies.  Check they both reference the same resources.

I would like to do this but it's for the icons in a ListView. It seems like these have to be in an imagelist, not as resources.

All my resource images are set to "embedded in .resx" to help avoid this kind of missing file problem. But they're all fine anyway.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:31 PM
  • EL34 said:

Is your program pointing to a specific file path that may be different on his computer?

Just a thought, cause I had that happen to myself on my network here.

User name path to my documents was different on the two computers.

Nothing that I can find. I certainly never typed in a specific local path to anything.

In the imagelist they're described by filename, but without any path.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:33 PM
  • bdbodger said:

I just zip the whole project folder . I mean everything should be there .

I effectively did that.

I did delete all the publish and obj folders and things like that, but it still compiles fine on my computer without them. They're too big to send - it increases the project size tenfold.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:34 PM
  • OK I've tried this out with listview and imagelist.  The imagelist images are stored in the Formname.resx file (not in readable format).  However I think what is being stored is a reference to the image and not the file itself.  (Adding lots of images to the image list does NOT add much sizewise to the Formname.resx file). 

So if the other developer has the images in a different location to you the references cannot be resolved and you will have a problem...

Well it's my best guess anyway!

Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Hi Kaolog,

Based on the description, your project can't find the correct file to run. Let the other developer tell you which code snippet raises the error in this scenario. Also let us know how you add the file to your project.

Riquel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:21 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing Options at the top of the post. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions. Thank you!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:32 AM