SharePoint 2007 OOTB Approval Workflow: Assigning task to an Outlook Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured the OOTB Approval Workflow to send a task to an Outlook mailbox in Active Directory. When a user that belongs to the mailbox group goes to approve the task they get the following message "The user who attempted to complete the task is not the user to whom the task is assigned." The task cannot be updated. Without providing all members of the Outlook mailbox full control to the task list is there another way that they can edit the task?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, “message: The user who attempted to complete the task is not a member of the group to which the task is assigned.”

When the account to which the task is assigned is different from the account by which the user is approving the task the above error is received. For example, some of our users have internal (Intranet) accounts and External (Extranet) accounts. The task has been mistakenly assigned to user's external account and user was attempting to approve the task through intranet and she received that error.

If the out-of-the-box approval workflow setting "Allow changes to the participant list when this workflow is started" is checked, users who initiated the workflow CAN approve the workflow. I guess that makes sense but it still seems like a security hole to me however since someone who doesn't have authority to approve (Sam is only a contributor), she could approve workflow.

Best Regards
    David Hu
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, July 8, 2011 1:59 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:22 AM