none
Add-in causes Excel error message "Query features cannot be used..." RRS feed

• Question

• My company develops an Excel add-in.  When our add-in is loaded, and the user selects the Excel menu item Data/From Table, they get a message box saying "Query features cannot be used because an incompatible add-in has been installed.  Please disable some of your add-ins, restart Excel, and try again.".  We have narrowed this down to the fact that we call CoRegisterMessageFilter to replace Excel's message filter with our own.  However, for debugging purposes we made our message filter do nothing but call the original message filter (Excel's, that is), passing on the same data.  It still seems to break that Excel command.  Usually with message filters you have a "chain" of them, and passing messages on does not break anything.  Is Excel especially sensitive to that?  Is there any way to put a message filter in that chain without Excel getting upset?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

Could you share us a simple project through OneDrive and detailed steps to reproduce your issue and what is your Office Version? We will try to reproduce your issue with your project.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:22 AM
  • Hi Edward-

I uploaded a file named SimpleXLL.zip to my OneDrive account.  When you unzip it, there is a solution named SimpleXLL.sln, which I built in Visual Studio 2013.  Assuming it builds okay, start Excel 2016, and go to Options/Add-ins/Excel Add-ins/Go and browse to SimpleXLL.xll, and load it.  It will create a log file named "x.log" in the %temp% folder.  For me, before I load the add-in the Excel Data/From Table command works, after I load it, it does not.  If you do a File/Save As in Excel (but don't necessarily do the save - the point is to open a dialog box), you will see lines in the log file indicating that the message filter is being called.  The Excel message filter seems to have been retrieved okay, and replaced okay, and restored okay, an the new message filter seems to be called okay, and forward messages to the original Excel message filter okay, but it still makes the Data/From Table command stop working.

Doug

Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:25 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Could you share us the URL to download your project? We do not know your OneDrive account.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 23, 2016 3:08 AM
  • I put the project in:

ftp://ftp.palisade.com/downloads/doug/simplexll.zip

Doug

Monday, December 26, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing.

I made a test with your project. It seems it build OK, but it did not take effects for that it did not write anything in x.log after I save as this file.

To be honesty, I am not familiar with C++, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Any progress yet?  Is there anything I can do to help?

Doug

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hi Doug,

It is sad that I did not get any response from senior engineers. If this is an urgent issue, I will suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support so that our engineers can work closely with you to troubleshoot this issue.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:20 AM