Folder link does not work in Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• When I click a folder link in a HTM file in Microsoft edge nothing happens.

But when I used Internet Explorer and click the folder link in the HTM file, the file browser opens.

Is this a limitation of Microsoft edge? Is there a plan to fix this issue in Microsoft Edge?

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Roel Virgel L. Baldon,

>>"But when I used Internet Explorer and click the folder link in the HTM file, the file browser opens."

This works on Edge. Add file:/// prefix would be fine.

file:///d:/
    Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

My folder link is not an absolute path. It is a relative path.

Here is my link code href="Setup/U8DevTools/en/"

This works in Firefox but not in Microsoft edge.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hi Roel,

Relative path works fine on Edge. See following image.

<a href="abc/">abc</a>

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hi Mr. Wang,

Thank you for your reply.

I wonder why in my Microsoft Edge folder link does not work whether absolute path or relative path.

May I know the version of Microsoft Edge that you are using?

Mine is Microsoft Edge 20.10240.16384.0.

Also is there a setting that I must enable to work the folder link in Microsoft Edge? 

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:42 PM
  • Hi Roel,

My version is 25.10586.0.0.

I suggest you upgrade your Edge and try again. Edge receives updates whenever you update Windows 10. So you need to update Windows 10. Updating Windows 10 is a simple, automatic process but you can choose to do it manually. Microsoft bundled Edge updates with Windows 10 will keep our entire OS and other apps updated too, not just our browser.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Dear Mr. Wang,

I tried to update my Microsoft edge to version 25.10586.0.0 but folder link is still not working.

Do you have other ideas how to fix this problem?

Best Regards,

Rv

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:25 AM
  • What caught my attention is that your current path says localhost?

Also, (your) Edge appears to follow the same approach as Chrome/Firefox, to open the folder in a tab, FTP style, whereas IE opens File Explorer, File Explorer style, from both the link itself and from the address bar.

If we copy paste the (otherwise inactive) link to the address bar, (our) Edge opens File Explorer, just as IE does.

Can you check what your Edge does when the link is copied to the address bar?

BTW, here is the thread on answers.microsoft.com

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge/folder-link-is-not-working-in-microsoft-edge/df12a46a-c1a4-4bc0-8c7c-0126cd243903

Sorry, not allowed to tag the link on this post

Friday, June 3, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Ping?
    Monday, June 6, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Anyone from Microsoft who can back up the claim of Mr. Li Wang that folder link is working in Microsoft Edge?
    Monday, June 13, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Help me please!
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Hi Roel,

you need to be running your web page from a webserver application (IIS/appache on localhost)....IE's security model prevents navigation of the local file system... preventing websites from maliciously sniffing your harddrive.

To troubleshoot navigation issues... f12>Networking tab, click the Start button.... !important.... without closing the dev tool return to your web page and click some links on your web page...

or you have set the wrong <base href="value"..... If you are developing a standalone browser application, save your html file as hta extension, and place all of its resources (images, css and scripting) in the same local storage disk folder.

For questions about html, css and scripting for web site development post to stackoverflow. If possible include a link to your website or a mashup on jsfiddle.net that shows the issue.

In this forum about developing IE Extensions, include your source code for your extension or a link to a publicly accessible store (git hub) where we can view it to review it.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:10 AM
  • you need to be running your web page from a webserver application (IIS/appache on localhost)....IE's security model prevents navigation of the local file system... preventing websites from maliciously sniffing your harddrive.

Actually, as the Opening Post suggests, IE has no problem with it at all.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:40 PM
  • I have tried using file:///d:/ but it is still not working. My intranet site is in a server called gncfps and then i am trying to open folder in q drive.

Please help

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:30 AM

• @IECustomizer.  A fellow (graye) in the answers.ms.com thread which BeefRWijker linked apparently didn't get it at first, and posted a contradicting comment.  He then retested, and returned with a confirmation of the bug, and an apology

He did? Must have missed that. All I see is a contradiction of his earlier comment (that it had been fixed) without giving any explanation for the apparent about-face.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:51 PM