none
Does .NET Framework 3.5 remain in Windows 7 after installation of .NET Framework 4? RRS feed

• Question

• When you install .NET Framework 4 in Windows 7, is Framework 3.5 (that is included with Windows 7) automatically removed or is it still there?  How can I tell?  I have an app that I would like to run whose author specifically states works under .NET Framework 3.5 and not 4.0. 
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:48 PM

Answers

• The app you mention should run fine.

Installing .NET Framework 4.0 on your system does NOT remove ANY earlier version. Especially  not the .NET Framework 3.5.1 (which is .NET Framework 2.0 plus extensions 3.0 and 3.5 patched through 3.5 SP1) embedded in your Windows 7. Full .NET Frameworks are designed to install side by side with other frameworks, not replace them.

To date, Microsoft has released four full .NET Frameworks, but the version numbers can be confusing.

Full .NET Frameworks: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0/3.0/3.5 and 4.0 (upcoming 4.5 is an extension to 4.0).

Your .NET Framework 4.0 is visible in your installed programs list. To see the .NET Framework 3.5.1 that came as part of your Windows 7, look in the list of installed FEATURES.

Control Panel->Programs and Features...

In the dialog, click Turn Windows features on and off. You'll find Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 in the features list.

To verify the integrity of any installed .NET Framework, use this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:17 PM