none
SQLite not in data source list in DB Explorer in VC# 2010 Express w/NET V4 RRS feed

• Question

• In the Database Explorer, when I click the Connect to Database button, I don't see SQLite as a data source in the Choose Data Source dialog box.

I'm coding in VC# 2010 Express with .Net V4. The SQLite provider works because I can execute functions in code that modify a database.

Actually, I managed to get this working, but when I try to open the database with the DataBAse explorer I get an error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data, Version=8.0.0.0 ...' or one of its dependencies.

Posts at http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/forums/t/987.aspx?PageIndex=1 (end of page 2) seems to indicate that this function of VC# 2010 Express is not supported for SQLite. Is this true

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:31 AM

Answers

• I believe that SQLite does support this feature in Visual Studio (it's added by the vendor), however; since you are using an Express version of Visual Studio the Data Designer is limited to Microsoft Access and local SQL Server databases. You can still use the SQLite .NET library in the Express version but you will have write your ADO.NET without using the Data Designer.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by cobracus Friday, July 15, 2011 3:14 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:51 PM
  • @ Paul:

Is this also true for MySQL?  It would save me alot of time if you knew the answer to this?

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• I believe that SQLite does support this feature in Visual Studio (it's added by the vendor), however; since you are using an Express version of Visual Studio the Data Designer is limited to Microsoft Access and local SQL Server databases. You can still use the SQLite .NET library in the Express version but you will have write your ADO.NET without using the Data Designer.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:51 PM
  • @ Paul:

Is this also true for MySQL?  It would save me alot of time if you knew the answer to this?

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:58 PM
  • MySQL has Visual Studio Integration but I don't think that would change the limitation in the Express versions of Visual Studio.

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:12 PM
  • OK, thanks, Paul. I'll start with SQLServer. I assume there is a version with a small footprint.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:14 PM
  • OK, thanks, Paul. I'll start with SQLServer. I assume there is a version with a small footprint.

Yes, SQL Server Compact Edition is the non server based version of SQL Server.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:51 PM