sql installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Error - See *** Below ***

I downloaded SQL 2008 express - onto windows xp computer in the Desktop Folder >SQLEXPRADV_86_EMU

Steps taken:

start

All Programs

microsoft SQL Server 2008

Configuration Tools

SQL Server Installation Center

Planning

System Configuration Checker --- ran ok

Install Update Advisor -- ran ok

Installation

New Sql Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing insstallation

Browse for SQL Server 2008 Installation Media

a folder opens up - Use browserr and choose one

*** error area

error message --- <the Path i selected was desktop > is not a valid installation folder. retry

Do I need something in the CD drive? What? Where do I get it ?

re search result internet: Insert the SQL Server 2008 installation media into the disk drive and open the root folder

thanks for any help

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:57 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem but managed to get around it.

SQL Server Express 2008 removes the installation media after you finish installing it.

I needed to add some more features to an existing installation.

Follow my instructions below and i think you will find success.

1. Use the original SQL Express 2008 .exe file, click on it as you would normally do to instal it
    2. You will prob now get the standard windows "open file - security warning" click run
    3. it the begins to extract the files, make a note of what directory it is extracting to. This directory is a temporary folder and by default it will be C:\ followed by a folder name which will a random set of letters and numbers "hjlj12w123j12lj123k" for example.
    4. Once setup has finished and the SQL Server Installation Center window pops up, copy that folder from C:\
    hjlj12w123j12lj123k to your deskop and close the SQL Server Installation Center.
    5. Now open
    SQL Server Installation Center that is already on your computer. Start - Microsoft SQL Server 2008\ Configuration tools\SQL Server Installation Center
    6. click on the installation tab and install as you were doing before. when prompted for the installation media, point it to the
    "hjlj12w123j12lj123k" folder no on your desktop.

that should work. either delete the
    "hjlj12w123j12lj123k" fodler afterwards or rename it and store it some where sensible.

Hope it works for you, good luck

alex
    Friday, November 28, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

You can download the whole executable for the SQL express packages here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2009/06/15/installing-sql-server-2008-guidance.aspx

After downloading, just unzip the executable (e.g. with 7Zip) and then point to the resulting directory when trying to install new features.

loren
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:21 PM

All replies

• SQLExpress will not do it. You simply cloick on the file (run as administrator in Vista) and it will take you from there. I am doing a repair (reinstall) as I type it.

You can get those from SqlDevEdition or SqlServer standard. Are you opening an iso file? If all your prerequisites are correct your install should sail. I remember getting such messages and even posted to resolve them. You can check some of the psots on MSDN.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Since its express edition, I hope the setup files are temporarily extraccted to a folder and once the installation of upgrade advisor completes it might have deleted the setup files. You can re-run the SQL 2008 setup file (the one you have downloaded from MS website) to begin installing Database engine.

Friday, October 17, 2008 9:41 AM
  • Thnax But nothing is helping.  I give up.  thanx for at least trying.  2 weeks of beating my head up against a wall and re-installing etc is enough.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:28 AM

SQL Server Express 2008 removes the installation media after you finish installing it.

1. Use the original SQL Express 2008 .exe file, click on it as you would normally do to instal it
    2. You will prob now get the standard windows "open file - security warning" click run
    3. it the begins to extract the files, make a note of what directory it is extracting to. This directory is a temporary folder and by default it will be C:\ followed by a folder name which will a random set of letters and numbers "hjlj12w123j12lj123k" for example.
    4. Once setup has finished and the SQL Server Installation Center window pops up, copy that folder from C:\
    hjlj12w123j12lj123k to your deskop and close the SQL Server Installation Center.
    5. Now open
    SQL Server Installation Center that is already on your computer. Start - Microsoft SQL Server 2008\ Configuration tools\SQL Server Installation Center
    6. click on the installation tab and install as you were doing before. when prompted for the installation media, point it to the

"hjlj12w123j12lj123k" fodler afterwards or rename it and store it some where sensible.

alex
    Friday, November 28, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for the info djapb, finally I could install Management Studio Express. Had 2 more hurdles to jump but were not very high:
    1) In the installation temporary folder there was a file that did not want to be copied (a $hsdfsd$ thing) so left it in there without copying it
    2) Had to install Windows Power Shell that was not installed in my computer since installation failed because that

Ricardo

http://www.in-riga.com
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Thx Alex,

You've just help me through this madness!
    I wish Microsoft guys get as smart as you ;)

-Tohid
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

You can download the whole executable for the SQL express packages here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2009/06/15/installing-sql-server-2008-guidance.aspx

After downloading, just unzip the executable (e.g. with 7Zip) and then point to the resulting directory when trying to install new features.

loren
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks djapb! thats worked for me too
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:35 PM
  • This is similar to another response but it's slightly different and for people who use Web Platform Installer (I'm going to call it WPI).

1 - Make sure you have power shell installed.
    2 - Install the sql 2008 SP1.  google it and download it.  

Now comes the detailed part...

You have to get a hold of the installation files without using WPI.   The WPI stores the installer executable on your computer and you have to run it and then get a hold of the directory it extracts before it deletes it.    You need to locate the WPI installation file and then run it manually.  Mine was located at...

C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers\SQLExpressAdv\12A6B9C2237817DEEEB3DCE22AFFA25B6794850C

Of course you substitute your own username.   You may need to reveal hidden folders.   If you can't find it try running a search for the SQLExpressAdv folder. 

In that folder you will find a file named "SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe" or something close to it. Run it and either on the first or second step you will see it extract a bunch of files.   Don't go any further after it runs that extraction.   Go to that folder and copy all the contents it extracted to a new folder and whamo.   That's where you will point your sql browse box to.   

Now you can uninstall, set up servers,  whatever it is you were trying to do.  

-N8 
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:13 PM
  • this is such a mess
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:28 PM
  • mess is too good a word for it
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Excellent job thanks for that your step by step resolved an ongoing 2 day issue for me in seconds.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:32 AM
  • My SQL sp3 has failed to install a number of times. Each time it creats one of these random letter/number files. I don't care about the update but I would like to remove all these un-needed folders. When I try, I get a this file or that is in use, usually a eula.txt file. How do I delete these folders?
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:48 AM

5. Now open

alex

nice one, what a poor product installation, shame on you ms
    Monday, December 10, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Encountered this while installing SQL Server 2012.

Selecting "C:\<random letters here>" worked for me.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:57 AM