none
Windows from permissions to run on work network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

(Novis and still Green) .Got a question about permissions,

Currently, Just like most workplaces, installing software on our work PC's gets blocked until you supply admin & password to gain access to the persmission to install. so my question is: ..

If I go ahead and invest my free time in the creation of a few windows forms and then E-mial these to my work and then attempt to run these on my work PC's, dou know if they will most likely get blocked, just like most other *.Exe (ie setup.exe), Reasons is, I don't want to go to the trouble of the learning curve/coding etc ..create form that will be very helpful for my work and then find out that I have to jump through heaps of Hoops and Red tape to just get my .sln up running.

Has anyone got any light they can through on this and if this is the case, is there an alternative to creating Exe's but still getting your work to run without getting blocked.

Monday, January 28, 2019 6:09 AM

Answers

• Hello,

When a company has set up security to prevent unauthorized applications from being installed there is no way around this no matter what method is used to install the application.

Your best path is to discuss your intentions with first your supervisor and in doing so learn what options you have. 

Some companies will allow user installed applications to be placed in a special folder e.g. C:\ABC where ABC is whatever folder name is deemed appropriate for such applications.

What about signing your applications? First they cost to have a valid certificate but that does not mean your company will permit an install of the application.

In closing, to stay out of trouble speak to your supervisor and learn what your options are rather than attempting to email an application and install it, you may very well be monitored and the result could potentially not be good for you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by G-Ger Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you should go to understand about   ClickOnce

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hello,

When a company has set up security to prevent unauthorized applications from being installed there is no way around this no matter what method is used to install the application.

Your best path is to discuss your intentions with first your supervisor and in doing so learn what options you have. 

Some companies will allow user installed applications to be placed in a special folder e.g. C:\ABC where ABC is whatever folder name is deemed appropriate for such applications.

What about signing your applications? First they cost to have a valid certificate but that does not mean your company will permit an install of the application.

In closing, to stay out of trouble speak to your supervisor and learn what your options are rather than attempting to email an application and install it, you may very well be monitored and the result could potentially not be good for you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by G-Ger Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Thanks for the advice.

Turns out, that it never got blocked after all as when I double clicked it gave me a few error messages and also a warning message with a proceed or not option, so I guess no issues as long as the exe is not attempting to write to the registry then I am good. So anything I do will not be a wasted effort.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:47 PM
  • Good to hear that but still be careful e.g. my company allows installations in a white folder which means they allow installations but also monitor the folder for new software for non-developers.

VB Forums - moderator

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:07 AM