PowerPivot & Sharepoint - Security & connections RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

My company is currently looking at using PowerPivot as a BI solution and the idea is to load a PowerPivot workbook onto a sharepoint server.

My first question is what security methods are available to ensure that not every one can access the data? Would you just need your login info for the Sharepoint website? I believe that I could query the workbook and only pull out relevant information for that user (if done programtically via C#)?

My second question is in regards to connections, can say 100 users access 1 powerpivot workbook saved on Sharepoint? Also is there a limit on the of users accessing the data at any 1 time?

Thanks in advance for your help as always.

Joe

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

Based on your description, you might want ask this question in sharepoint forum. This forum just disscussing issues about Power pivot, your issue more related to sharepoint security and connection issue.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:05 AM

All replies

• Sorry one more question, can you use power query with a powerpivot workbook held on sharepoint? My raw files require manipulation before importing into powerpivot such as deleting first 10 rows.

Many thanks,

Joe

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Based on your description, you might want ask this question in sharepoint forum. This forum just disscussing issues about Power pivot, your issue more related to sharepoint security and connection issue.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Ok thanks Alexander, i have re-posted https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Sharepoint/en-US/2a89dc73-bf0a-4e82-b46b-a5232d89d1e7/powerpivot-sharepoint-security-connections?forum=sharepointgeneral

Many thanks,

Joe

Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi Joe,

Thanks for your question.

I agree with Alexander, your question is more related to sharepoint security and connection. Thanks for your support and understanding, your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, September 29, 2017 2:31 AM