locked
Bug using People app. Data retrieved is not correct.

    Question

  • Hi,

    I noticed that the data (first name, last name, birthday, etc.) retrieved by API from the People app doesn't match with the data that I actually see inside the app.
    For more info, I'm posting here the answer retrieved from the Microsoft Connect team, where I posted this bug as .NET / VS bug.

    Greetings from Microsoft Connect!

    This notification was generated for feedback item: ContactPicker still doesn't work as expected. which you submitted at the Microsoft Connect site.

    Thank you for submitting this bug. This site is focused on accepting bugs for Visual Studio and .NET Framework, however, this issue appears to be related to the Windows operating system so we have transferred it over to the Windows team for review. Should more information be
    needed, someone from the Windows team will follow up with you. You can interact directly with Windows support via several online forums where you can ask questions, post issues and get answers from the community and Microsoft support professionals. We encourage active participation in these forums as the best way to provide feedback to Microsoft:

     Visit the Windows 8.1 Forum   (http://aka.ms/win8_1forum)
    • Visit the Internet Explorer 11 Forum (http://aka.ms/IE_11Forum)
    • Visit the Windows Dev Center for building apps (http://aka.ms/WinDevCenter )
    • Visit the IT Pro Springboard on TechNet for Windows 8.1
    business and enterprise features (http://aka.ms/Win8Technet)

    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:03 PM

All replies

  • Please provide a sample reproduction app and steps to check it out.

    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:12 PM
    Moderator
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8980499C712F9E50!7139&authkey=!AHbR3z6uaw_fsR0&ithint=file%2c.zip

    Here's a sample app.
    Using People app, add a contact that have FirstName, LastName and Birthday field not empty.
    Use the app to retrieve the contact data, you'll find that:

    LastName is empty.
    FirstName contains both FirstName and LastName.
    Birthday (but other dates also) is always set to 05/05/0004 regardless the real value.

    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Please provide a sample reproduction app and steps to check it out.

    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    This code you can easily insert into any app

     var p = new Windows.ApplicationModel.Contacts.ContactPicker();         p.DesiredFieldsWithContactFieldType.Add(Windows.ApplicationModel.Contacts.ContactFieldType.Email);
                    IList<Windows.ApplicationModel.Contacts.Contact> contacts = await p.PickContactsAsync();
    if (contacts.Count > 0) 
                   { 
                       foreach (Windows.ApplicationModel.Contacts.Contact c in contacts)                    { 
                           await new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog(c.FirstName + " - " + c.LastName + "\n" + c.Id).ShowAsync(); 
                 }

    In Windows 8.1 the field LastName is always empty and the field FirstName also contains LastName.

    In WindowsPhone 8.1 the contents of fields FirstName and LastName is correct but when I run App from smartphone, the  PickContactAsync() method crash (The same code work well on Windows phone 8.1 when I deploy from Visual Studio on device)



    CP http://www.fjmsoftware.altervista.org

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:33 PM
  • Looks like no one, except me and CLROS are experiencing this bug? After Update 3 of VS2013, the PickContactsAsync() method keep crashing on Windows Phone 8/8.1 and the general Windows.ApplicationModel.Contacts API is still broken (retrieving bad data on Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 and Windows RT), ecc.

    Tommaso Scalici

    Wednesday, September 03, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Hi Tommaso,

                     I can reproduce the problem and will submit a bug for it.


    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    Thursday, September 04, 2014 5:35 PM
    Moderator
  • Oh nice, finally someone will get into this!
    Thanks! :D
    Waiting news about it

    Tommaso Scalici

    Thursday, September 04, 2014 5:51 PM