windows 8 pc restart loop after install !!

Question

• hi there i have installed everything fine drivers programs ok , but when i come to restart the pc it stays in a loop for ages over and over why is this happening i have a compaq presario 4gb ram and a radeon x600 graphics card windows 7 works perfect on the pc but windows 8 has this problum hope some one can help thanx :) oh sorry and its dual core intel viiv :)

Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:31 PM
  • sorry but that link has nothing in there about restart loop its just about harddrives mainly,,, you see i have windows 8 working great with all my software and drivers from win 7 all works as i should but when i go to restart after a program or change has been made to the system config as we all know windows asks for it to finish changes , it gets stuck in a restart loop shows bios screen then shows windows loading screen then i goes back to the bios ,, and will do this all day if i let it !!!
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the loop errors.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the loop error.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:30 PM
  • restart loop shows bios screen then shows windows loading screen then i goes back to the bios ,, and will do this all day if i let it !!!

Sounds like you might be able to interrupt it with (an appropriately timed) F8.   E.g. you could enable Boot logging in hope of producing clues that way.   (Or choose that using  msconfig.exe when W8 is running.)   Another relevant diagnostic, especially if you can capture two cases, working and not working, is  ProcMon's  Boot Logging  trace.

FWIW a problem I have with Restart occasionally may be related but I think my hang probably occurs earlier than yours.   E.g. then I have the option of using Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bringing up the same prompt that we get by doing that in the Start Screen.   Unfortunately my symptom doesn't happen often enough so I have been unable to capture it while running ProcMon.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:40 AM