Running PrepareAD on Exchange 2016 CU 18 and getting Error: The administrative limit for this request was exceeded RRS feed

• Question

• Current environment:  Exchange 2010 SP3 on Windows Server 2008 R2.  One Exchange 2010 server (Mailbox, CAS, and HUB), and one Exchange Edge Transport 2010.

Trying to upgrade to Exchange 2016 CU18 (Mailbox role and Edge Transport Role).

All prerequisites for Exchange 2016 have been installed: Windows components, .NET 4.8, Visual C++ Red, and UM.

After successfully running the extended Schema prep, I went ahead and attempted the /PrepareAD command.  I received the following error below: 

Error:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();

initialize-ExchangeUniversalGroups -DomainController $RoleDomainController -ActiveDirectorySplitPermissions $RoleActiveDirectorySplitPermissions

" was run: "Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.AdminLimitExceededException: The administrative limit for this request was exceeded. ---> System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.DirectoryOperationException: The administration limit on the server was exceeded.

at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.ConstructResponse(Int32 messageId, LdapOperation operation, ResultAll resultType, TimeSpan requestTimeOut, Boolean exceptionOnTimeOut)

at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.SendRequest(DirectoryRequest request, TimeSpan requestTimeout)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.GuardedDirectoryExecution.Execute[T](String bucketName, Func`1 action, Int64& concurrency)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.PooledLdapConnection.GuardedSendRequest(String forestName, GuardedDirectoryExecution guardedDirectoryExecution, DirectoryRequest request, TimeSpan timeout, Func`3 sendRequestDelegate, Int64& concurrency)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.PooledLdapConnection.SendRequest(DirectoryRequest request, LdapOperation ldapOperation, Nullable`1 clientSideSearchTimeout, IADLogContext logContext, Boolean shouldLogLastFilter)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADDataSession.ExecuteModificationRequest(ADObject entry, DirectoryRequest request, ADObjectId originalId, Boolean emptyObjectSessionOnException, Boolean isSync)

Thursday, October 8, 2020 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems a question about Windows server, you can have a look about this article.

Before installing Exchange 2016, you also need to check the version of Windows server and forest/Domain function level, make sure all of them are supported. For more detailed information about it, you can have a look about this article: Exchange Server supportability matrix 

Please note: Exchange Development forum isn't supported by Microsoft. Exchange Forum has been migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A. In order to better solve your question, I suggest you post question in that forum.

Friday, October 9, 2020 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Kyle, I'll move it over to the Exchange Forum.  But yes, Forest/Domain functional level is at minimum requirement (2008 R2), and in a Global Catalog site. 
    Friday, October 9, 2020 12:52 PM