none
EWS - Tasks - no assignees? RRS feed

• Question

• Am I missing something? How is it that I can only create tasks for the currently authenticated user?

The task class does't have an assignees method (neither does the Outlook Web App apparently).

Yet in the Outlook thick-client app I can assign the task to other users.

Why would this (to my mind at least) rather critcal feature be missing from the EWS API?

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• EWS doesn't currently support assigning tasks (neither does Outlook 2011 for MAC which use EWS) then only thing you can do with Tasks is create the directly in a users Tasks folder http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange/aa563029(v=exchg.140).aspx. If you need to assign tasks then you will need to use Mapi via the OOM or something like Redemption http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/RDOTaskItem.htm.

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Glen,

This is disheartening. Do you know if there are the plans to change this? We are actively trying go away from Redemption, corporate security audit nightmare, and other third party tools. The physical act of 'Accepting' a task creates contractual obligations; for us analogous to users accepting a TOS. Forcefully binding someone to a task which can have legal ramifications is of zero use to a lot of people and holds no binding. Secondly, we use WF and the action of "Rejecting" will perturb a state machine to document the rejection, and proceed to find someone else to work a case.

Impersonate and assign to a folder won't work, the end users won't know how to reassign a task if they cannot work it. They will just call the poor support IT staff and it will cause a lot of headaches. I can imagine calls like the following "Hello, there is a task in my task items to call a client's attorney by 3pm, but I never accepted this and I'm not able to work this case for legal xyz reason, its 2:45 can you do something, I'm off to meet a client"

Of all the functionality of a product, for me and our team, I would have put this with the other 5 of 5s; critical for release. And I don't mean this to sound like the users to always complain "I'm done!!, I'm cancelling xyz!!, I'm going somewhere else!" but it is a very real possibility we cannot proceed with adopting EWS Managed API until it matures further. I'm sure we could reduce our problem surface by encapsulating Redemption outside our application for only that purpose of assigning Tasks but I hate to allocate resources and development because of a oversight like this and I'm not sure if that will help with security audits.  Those folks really dislike software capable of circumventing outlook security.

Thanks,
    Gary

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I can't really answer that question as I'm only a consumer of EWS if there is it would be a new feature that you would see on Exchange 2013 (new features generally are back ported to older versions). 

There is no support for it in terms of EWS operations or within the Managed API you maybe able to do something custom using the protocol document for Tasks http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463886%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx and setting extended properties directly on a custom Task Request you create (eg use the emailmessages class and then change the ItemClass). One of the big problems with this is you can't set these properties on Recipients or Attachments collection of an Item like you can in MAPI. Which is a limiting factor in EWS for a small number of applications (and frustrates me greatly).

Cheers
    Glen 

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:50 AM